How to take photo's

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marv,

I can manually set the white balance but either incandescent or fluorescent -not for a mixture.

So I think you are saying just try the different ones out and see what I get. Then choose the best.

Yes I can do that.

Dave

I think you have a "preset" mode where you point the camera at a piece of white paper and it adjusts itself so that it appears white. Read about it in your instruction manual. Most digital cameras have this capability.

Regardless, reading the manual is a good idea.

Hi Marv,

Yes it does, I actually used it, by pointing at the wall (white) in the workshop and then pressing calculate.
Mainly to get rid of the blue/green hues from the fluoescent lighting. I also set it (preset) fluorescent lighting, I did'nt see much difference between the two.

I haven't tried it with a mixture of fluorescent and incandescent yet.

Thanks Marv

Dave

As stated in prior posts take photos in high resolution and then crop / resize on the computer.

The zoom function on most digital cameras has two features - optical zoom and digital zoom - normally indicated on the focus bar - the camera will first zoom optically (stop zooming momentarilly) and then continue into digital zoom.

Digital zoom diminishes resolution - nothing necesarilly wrong in that but avoid it if you are trying to maintain higher resolution - rather move the camera closer to the subject.

FYI

Regards,
Ken

If you have nothing else to hand than a small compact (which I use all the time in the shop) use the flower (macro, close up) setting and if like my shop there is not always enough light so you have to use the flash, do this....

Get a white (must be white) tissue and loosely screw it up into a ball, looser and bigger the better, and just hold this over the flash, make sure you don't cover the lens or any focusing widow screens on the front. This defuses the flash quite nicely, most of my photos are taken like this..

Dave

Many many thanks to all of you, I think it is just a case of "practice makes perfect" now.

You will see the rewards in the photo's ;D

Sincere thanks

Dave

Back