How to stiffen a bolt?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consider Belleville washers for the spring and a threaded shaft collar for the nut.

I've actually got a headstock lubrication screw on my Mark 1 Myford S7B and all this malarkey about springs and tape and whatever are about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike. My next trick to stop spraying high bollock oil from everywhere except where it was designed is to 'tin' the screw and the brass feed tube.

I did the same sort of thing with an old feed screw and nut on a Pools Major lathe( I doubt that anyone has even heard of one) but it worked. On some weary Myford in the past, I couldn't do this because it was Chinese alloy and I nipped it--------very, VERY carefully.

Hope this is constructive rather than reading things from regurgitating something which someone read about

Regards

N

would it be possible to drill another hole down from the threaded portion then cut from the thread to the other hole forming a split. Then cross drill for a small clamping bolt this will then lock the bolt when tightened and no claggy involved . A very similar idea is often used on small steam engine crank webs

Another possibility is drilling a tapped hole angular to the centre of the bolt, insert a piece of copper and thread this in the same operation as you would for the screw.
With a setscrew angular you can adjust the tension by moving the piece of copper. Or if you want to do iet really fancy put a stiff spring between the copper piece and the set screw for constant pressure.

I have had similar situations where I either staked the end of a nut with a chisel to make a locknut,or crossdrill/tap the nut on a corner and put a small setscrew with a bit of nylon under it to adjust tension.2 cheap Redneck fixes.

Have you tried two nuts back to back? If they are too thick grind them down in half. A better description of how you are using these parts might give us a better clue for a more ideal solution.

Latest posts

Back