How to Scale Up An Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! That seemed to import. I had a little issue with units and assumed this was dimensioned in millimeters. I checked the width of the flywheel, which Kerzel has as 0.688". That converts to 17.475 mm, which is what the part measures. So I think it's correct. This is a default render from Rhino 5.

Kerzel.jpg

In case anyone is interested in what became of this thread, I've started down the road to make the Zero Six.

I bought the Model Engine Builder issue a while back and I've now generated the first couple of drawings. I'm going to go down the road of making it like the prints.

Not sure when I'll start cutting metal - I need to study them and see how much I need to order.

Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas!

Bob

Good choice. I enjoyed building the Zero Six. While building it to the prints is a good idea, the author admits that the flywheels could have been bigger.
In the write up, he says, " I show the flywheels I made, but would advise building a somewhat larger diameter" and " If I had to do it over I would opt for
6 or 7 inch cast iron flywheels." ( MEB issue 6, p.39) A bit more momentum is almost always a good thing in a flywheel.
Easy enough to make them out of a steel or cast iron disc, or order cast ones from one of the suppliers.
My $.02.
Have fun with the build,
Doug

Funny you should mention that... Yeah, I'm looking for some cast flywheels, like these:
CAST IRON MODEL HIT MISS GAS ENGINE LIVE STEAM HOT AIR FLYWHEEL CASTING 6-7/8 | eBay

I have an 8-1/2 x 20 lathe, so I should be able to work on something 8" diameter, but that's with the cross slide out from under the part. Just facing cuts and light cuts. I don't have a saw big enough to cut a slice out of a large bar. I'm hesitant to buy a large piece of cast iron.

Bob

Funny you should mention that... Yeah, I'm looking for some cast flywheels, like these:
CAST IRON MODEL HIT MISS GAS ENGINE LIVE STEAM HOT AIR FLYWHEEL CASTING 6-7/8 | eBay

I have an 8-1/2 x 20 lathe, so I should be able to work on something 8" diameter, but that's with the cross slide out from under the part. Just facing cuts and light cuts. I don't have a saw big enough to cut a slice out of a large bar. I'm hesitant to buy a large piece of cast iron.

Bob
Try finding some weights from bar-bells. I have a bunch of them. Keep an eye out at yard sales.

Bob,
The flywheel you linked to might cause you problems. The five curved spokes and the governor weights may ( I think probably will) interfere.
6" Flywheel 6-Spoke Straight Tapered
Something like this should work, check dimensions, but at least the spokes allow the governor weights to go through opposite each other.
Also might save you a couple of bucks.
Doug

Bob,
The flywheel you linked to might cause you problems. The five curved spokes and the governor weights may ( I think probably will) interfere.
6" Flywheel 6-Spoke Straight Tapered
Something like this should work, check dimensions, but at least the spokes allow the governor weights to go through opposite each other.
Also might save you a couple of bucks.
Doug

Thanks, Doug. I hadn't thought of that but I'm not anywhere near ready to buy metal. I'm trying to learn everything I can before I get really committed and that includes figuring out how it's going to work.

Bob

Philip Duclos did a very nice hit and miss engine with a 1" bore. I have built it and it's just that much easier than the kerzel because all of the parts are a bit larger. If you want I can send you a set of free plans. Email me at [email protected]----Brian I have attached a movie of it running my drag saw.

Last edited:
Here is a better video of that Odds and Ends Engine running

I can also send you .stl files. or whatever your computer can open. At the time I built this engine, I wasn't charging anyone for the plans, and I'm still not.
jAcrHK.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a better video of that Odds and Ends Engine running

I can also send you .stl files. or whatever your computer can open. At the time I built this engine, I wasn't charging anyone for the plans, and I'm still not.
jAcrHK.jpg

I would appreciate a copy of the plans please.

Andrew in Melbourne

Latest posts

Back