How to remove the bezel of a Mitutoyo 505-626 dual caliper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine takes a flat 34.7mm crystal. Everything I see for the 505-626 is 36mm and change. This is an older model for sure. The old, broken crystal measures 33.7mm. The OD of the dial is exactly 34mm.

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy making plastic bezel “crystals:” I’ll try to find it again. If I remember correctly, he made a metal ring, turned a disk of clear plastic and then heated the disk with a heat gun until it sagged into the ring.

I hope Stan (Bar-Z) doesn't see this post: he'll throw away my raffle tickets for this year's bash!

Yes, Stan is the "guy" on YouTube who was making a crystal for a Trav-A-Dial -

My memory also failed me with regard to how he formed the curvature on the crystal. The process is a little involved, but it doesn't look too difficult and is slick. The welding helmet shields he used are 0.04"/1mm thick, which is probably too thick. Amazon has plain 0.020", 0.030" & 0.040" polycarbonate (Lexan) sheets (more material for less money than the shields that you are going to cut down anyway).

Let us know if you decide to make your own and how it goes.

Charlie

Thank you very much! I will definitely try to make one from some 1mm sheet stock from Amazon.

Latest posts

Back