How to post a picture.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everyone

Is there a way I can embed photos using my webshots account the way others are using Photo Bucket. I hate to create a whole new account? Webshots has some options but it seems that everything is just creates a link back to their site; which tends to be a little slow.

I can get a thumbnail image but not a full sized picture to show in my message.

Thanks,
Dave

idahoan said:
Hi Everyone

Is there a way I can embed photos using my webshots account the way others are using Photo Bucket. I hate to create a whole new account? Webshots has some options but it seems that everything is just creates a link back to their site; which tends to be a little slow.

I can get a thumbnail image but not a full sized picture to show in my message.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave

If you copy and paste the "direct link to image" code for the 500 pixel image from Webshots then add
[ img ] to the front of the code and [ /img ] to the end of the code with no spaces, the picture will embed.

For example:

Code:
[img]http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/50283/2853616390045877148S500x500Q85.jpg[/img]

will display as:

2853616390045877148S500x500Q85.jpg

Rick

Thanks Rick

That works but it limits the picture to 600 pixels; that is not a bad size but say you want to post a larger picture?

Dave

Here is a quick PDF I threw together on how to post pictures/Videos.

I hope it makes sense? Just because I understand it doesn't always mean a someone new will. Let me know.

I have a mac computer and use Photo Bucket so this is showing how to use them. For Windows users it's not that different and you should be able to follow along.

John

View attachment How to Post.pdf

No Problem, always happy to help if I can.

John

John,

Those are very helpful instructions, indeed. I would suggest only one small addition...

Once a picture is uploaded to Photobucket and referenced in your forum post, you may not move the picture to another album or sub-album in your Photobucket account. If you do the reference you made to it in your post will no longer be valid and folks won't be able to see the picture.

The implication of this is that you need to plan your Photobucket album and sub-album layout carefully before you begin uploading pictures. Big albums will make it difficult to find a desired pictures. Try to use small albums each devoted to a particular project.

Worth mentioning, if it hasn't been already: Once you upload a certain number of pictures to Photobucket - I forget what it is, maybe close to 400 - they seize control of your pictures and links to them and demand moola, as happened to Metal Butcher. Can't remember the amount, under $30 I think. Until you do that, there will be a placeholder where your pics once were in forums such as HMEM. Capitalists...they're everywhere.

Troutsqueezer

It is the old story. FREE! When is anything free? They appear to give you something for nothing now all the while sucking you into the vortex and once you can't afford (they hope) to back out they pull the plug and welcome you into there capitalistic world.

Now if we could figure out a way for each member to pay 1 cent a day to be used for hosting all the pictures and video etc, we wouldn't need all these other so called "FREE" sites that are anything but free.

Cheers :)

Don

Disclaimer: The above view are my personal views and may or may not be the views of HMEM.

Thanks Marv, I will have to remember that. Sub folders.

I took a look at the terms of use for Photo Bucket

Here is what Photo Bucket says about its free account:
Published 07/14/2011 10:49 AM | Updated 07/14/2011 10:49 AM
What do I get with a free account?

Look at all you get, for free!

Free accounts include:

Unlimited* storage for photos.
Up to 500 videos permitted with up to 10 minutes in length per video.
Maximum display size of photos is 2048x1536 pixels each.
Maximum file size permitted is 5MB per photo and 500MB per video.
The pure awesomeness of the Photobucket experience!

*Photobucket reserves the right to limit excessive use and the unlimited
storage offer pertains to non-commercial use only.

In the end if you are costing them too much money, they will come lookin for ya.

There Pro account is not that much. $2.99 a month or $24.99 a year.

I will stick with the free one for now.

John

I thought I'd better take a look and see if I was approaching the 500 ceiling on my free account, a bit of a worry as it turns out I have 408 pictures posted there. However, it appears they've removed the restriction.

"NEW- Photobucket has removed the storage limits for free accounts! Now you can upload all your photos and up to 500 videos! "

(which is what John said)

so panic over

There is a 10Gb limit as well but if you watermark your pics using FastStone photo resizer the each picture is only about 120Kb, so my 400+ pics are only taking 1% of my allowance. Resizing down to 120Kb and not posting the 1Mb files straight from your camera also allows your posts to load quicker. The smaller file pictures are perfectly adequate for the forum.

There is a way to recover you pictures from photobucket, resize and watermark them and then post them back to Photobucket retaining the original file name so the links in your posts remain intact. I wrote it up somewhere (maybe on this thread)

Pete

I have been using the faststone resizer for ages now, and my initial free album has 2500 pics/vids in it.

I have paid now to use Photobucket, and that basically gives me all the storage and bandwidth I will ever need, a small price to pay for keeping the site going.

What a lot of people don't realise is that saving your pictures as attachments to posts, rather than offsite storage like photobucket, could eventually clog up the site and slow it down, plus, I personally like to put the pictures in the posts, as having them all hanging on the end makes things sometimes very difficult to understand. There is nothing easier to understand than a bit of text, then a picture or video, not a load of text all together, then the pictures at the end, which you usually have to expand anyway.

In fact, if there are more than a couple of pictures at the end of a posting, I won't bother reading it. I might be losing out, but it is just the way I am.

John

This may be germain to the post.

From South Africa I find Photobucket dreadfully slow - it takes me 30 minutes to upload 3 photos (and its not my bandwidth). Every click of the mouse involves some delay or the other - some annoyingly lengthy.

I stumbled on another site that also accesses Photobucket and for whatever reason is way faster (like 50-100 times faster) - go figure ?

http://www.satisfaction.com/photobucket-login/

On the other hand my computer illiteracy might be the cause.

FYI

Ken

Ken

That looks like yet another way of vacuuming up your personal stats, never to be thrown away. But I suppose that's something we probably have to learn to live with as everybody is doing it these days, Apple, Google, Facebook, Youtube, CIA, GCHQ etc etc.

If you are having upload time problems with your pics FastStone is exactly what you need as it reduces pictures to about 14% of their original size, so it will only take 14% of the time to upload them. The thing is, regardless of any restrictions Photobucket may apply, there's not much point in posting a picture 2592 x 1944 pixels (my cameras capability) when the site scales them down to 800 x 600 pixels.

regards

Pete

Thanks doubletop - the problem is not the size (I do downscale them) - actual comms with the site is slow - click select photo - wait 30 seconds for my directory to appear in a window, click on directory - wait another 30 seconds and so on - the actual upload is not too bad on its own - imagine every mouse click requires 30 plus seconds and you might get some idea.
I only have this problem with Photobucket.
Could be my Cretacious internet explorer running on Win98SE is actually the culprit but that still doesn't really explain why I can get in via another server at a much faster rate.

Ken

I did a "tracert www.photobucket.com" (in the command window) and also for www.satisfaction.com and got similar results. . The slowest bit was getting out of NZ then the rest was fine. The results maybe confusing though

Pete

Back