How to make a flywheel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

This is how fast I work :lol:

http://www.grahamind.com/movies.html

But in the real world it is done slightly differently. Hopefully later today I will post how to make a flywheel out of plate in the new Tricks and Tips section. Just got to find a bit of plate.

John

that looks very much like cheating to me!, and you have to be more of a mathmatician than a machinist!...(wouldn't mind a machine like that though!)

I earn my living running machines very similar to that.
You write the program and the machine will simulate the tool paths
on the LCD screen in front of you. Still, when you press "Play" and that
first tool rapids down to within .078" (2 mm) of the part, before
it feeds into the cut..... Well, It's an experience.
A co-worker once made the analogy; "You couldn't pull a needle out of
his butt with a tractor."

You'd never find a truer statement! :lol:

Amazing machines, but they can scare you to death on a regular basis.

I've got a tiny Taig CNC mill that runs slow enough that I can usually smack the E-stop button before more than one or two things break...

Most of the time I prefer to use it as a super-fancy DRO when making engines-- go here, drill a hole there, versus fully programming a one-off part, which isn't as much fun. Lucky for me, brass seems to cut OK at my machine's rapid speeds... there's been a time or two I put G00 (rapid move) where I should have put a G01 (move at feed rate) :eek:

My friend with the machine shop runs a bunch of big HAAS machines that just whip right along plowing through metal. It's cool to watch, though sounds very ugly and expensive when something crashes.

Back