How to limit swarf into the chuck ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minh-thanh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Hi All !
How to limit swarf into the chuck ?

Untitled.jpg

An issue that I really hate
Do you have suggestions ?

I have a vacuum cleaner by the lathe and use it often to clean the chuck. Most of time I use it for the bed and chip tray.
I have a friend that blows air thru the chuck. I can't convince him that it a bad idea. He did not learn even when he had to dissasemble the chuck to clean the swarf.

By inside you are talking about in there?
Yes .
I have a vacuum cleaner by the lathe and use it often to clean the chuck. Most of time I use it for the bed and chip tray.
I have a friend that blows air thru the chuck. I can't convince him that it a bad idea. He did not learn even when he had to dissasemble the chuck to clean the swarf.
Thanks !
But when turning the inner diameter and the workpiece is in the chuck, the swarf still enter the inside the chuck.

Yes .

Thanks !
But when turning the inner diameter and the workpiece is in the chuck, the swarf still enter the inside the chuck.

You know - - - -I've never run into a lathe chuck that had an open back side.
When I went looking - - - - to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering - - - I can't find an pictures of an open backed chuck.

Were that my chuck my next job would be to make a back plate for that chuck. If for no other reason than to keep the swarf out of the guts!!!

When I went looking - - - - to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering - - - I can't find an pictures of an open backed chuck.

Were that my chuck my next job would be to make a back plate for that chuck. If for no other reason than to keep the swarf out of the guts!!!
I do not think the open backside is the usual state of the chuck. It is probably just removed during cleaning? ... depends on the diameters and were the jaws are, one will be able to see the scroll from the front. Wenn you can see the inside, the swarf will follow the invitation.
Maybe a coolant proof chuck can be found, saw a "water tight" Chuck on some Youtube, but I guess it will cost more than the lathe :cool:.
I once knew a guy, who prevented rust inside the bicycle hub by simply not looking inside. (not looking works fine, until it stops working).

Maybe for internal work a roll of thin sheet metal can be put inside behind the workpiece reaching into the spindle bore. All the swarf will end up in the spindle bore. ( cleaning it out with a broom stick ).

Greetings Timo

It is just removed during cleaning .

I often put simply a kleenex in the inner hole of the chuck, but it is far from sufficient to prevent chips in the scroll while boring a piece.

Maybe for internal work a roll of thin sheet metal can be put inside behind the workpiece reaching into the spindle bore. All the swarf will end up in the spindle bore. ( cleaning it out with a broom stick ).

Greetings Timo

Gedeon Spilett , timo_gross .
Thank you !
Maybe I will combine both ways, I have to think more ....

Maybe I'm missing something, every chuck and back plate has a thru hole. Mini-lathes usually have a 5/8" or so diameter thru hole.
One of my grandpops employers had lathes with 3-1/2" bore.
I suppose it had a back plate with a bore at least that big.
mike

Your chuck looks like it's missing the rear cover plate. Note the 3 threaded holes around the through hole, that would hold the round plate in place to prevent swarf from getting to the scroll drive gears. Someone failed to install it at the factory, or some previous owner discarded it. That plate would be ~6mm or so thick, as you can see where the outer diameter would sit on that very small shelf. I think this would be easy to fabricate.

All chucks from time to time need a clean to get rid of small amounts of swarf. If it is getting in quickly then I would look at the clearance on the chuck key gears. Most times it will get through from the scroll contact area of the jaws. This is however usually of very small amounts over time. I have seen good brands chucks with this problem due to to the pressure of the coolant ingress carrying small particles with it. Also consider what material we are talking about, cast iron is a beauty for doing it. If you keep your chip size large it will reduce it.

Do you have the same problem with dirt under the finger nails? ---------- if so, do you need to post on social media to find how to fix the problem?

If I were a rich person, and do not need or do very little manual work I would ask - Sure !! , but I will find the right place or the right person .
About my question , I am just a type : unprofessional , amateurs .

Disregard Mousetrap mate. Stupid is as stupid does.
You have quite a legitimate question and many legitimate answers.

Do you have the same problem with dirt under the finger nails? ---------- if so, do you need to post on social media to find how to fix the problem?
Just make a good sourdough bread.
Your hands and finger nails clean and you question if you should eat the bread too.

Now I wear rubber gloves for both.

Dave

I too have chucks with zerks. Pumped in grease and got a grease shower! On another forum I read about chuck grease and got some from Amazon. Amazingly sticky and thick, very black. I never used the Zerk but disassembled the chuck and spread judiciously on the moving parts. I have read by decreasing internal friction the gripping power of the chuck was enhanced. In honesty I couldn't tell any difference in the grip but the chuck operated more smoothly. I think many CNC machine chucks are greased regularly.
'
Unfortunately not a fix for swarf inside the chuck and could make matters worse since its so sticky.

Good luck

Disregard Mousetrap mate. Stupid is as stupid does.
You have quite a legitimate question and many legitimate answers.
As you say :" Stupid is as stupid does."
I don't know if my question is legitimate !?
But , until now , about 6 years since I joined this forum , With a lot of my questions , I always get help , advice , information .. from the forum members .
Again, Thank you very much !!

As you say :" Stupid is as stupid does."
I don't know if my question is legitimate !?
But , until now , about 6 years since I joined this forum , With a lot of my questions , I always get help , advice , information .. from the forum members .
Again, Thank you very much !!
This what the grease looks like.
Try Amazon for better price
https://www.mcmaster.com/2293N11/
Dave

Latest posts

Back