How to learn some basic science/ mechanics?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone just gave me a brand new slide rule as a curiosity - I looked it up and down and asked him "where do you put the batteries ?" (I did most of my initial academia with a slide rule.)

As far as scientific calculators go - if you know what all the function buttons do you are in very rarified territory - I would guess less than 0.1% of the world's population could answer yes to that.

I can't and I'm pretty numerate (scored in the top 1% in my GMAT)

That said working through them points to the deficiencies in your maths and what you might want to know more about.

Ken

I recall that when I took trig in HS we had to use a small book that listed the values of all the trig functions for each minute of angle, and that we had to learn to interpolate. In college we had to use sliderules in many engineering classes, and I lost 3-4 of them over my college career. In the thermodynamics class the first day the professor would show us how to use the rule to compute x**y, a feature needed very frequently.

Gentleman, without spending ANY money, one can learn the basics on how to do things, even without a calculator. Just a pencil...
Let me introduce you to http://www.khanacademy.com

I highly suggest this page for anyone who has a thirst to learn the basics, and most certainly for anyone who needs to study for a placement exam before entering a new college.

Back