"How to Build model Engines" the Book

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosey

Reaction score
I would like to see a book published showing how to build model engines. It could be written by one or more of the experts and accomplished people on this forum. It could even be published by the Forum. Each chapter could be written by a different master expert in a chosen topic.
Steve, George, Marv, Bogs, Ken, others, how about it?
Put all of the wonderful knowledge you guys have into print, add some of the terrific pictures, and step by step we will have a book that guys like me can buy and keep on our benches to guide us through the various challenges. Who knows, it might allow us to ask our dumb questions in an orderly fashion! seriously, it would eliminate asking questions that have been answered before and give the beginners and students, a picture of the whole process from selecting a model to that miraculous first pop.
Think of the $$ you will make. You can buy more machines and make more great engines.What do you think, guys?

Reading this forum should convince you that there are many, many ways to build a model engine. This is especially true given the wide variety of tools that the amateur engine-builder might have available. No book could cover all the permutations that are possible.

My feeling is that you already have in place the ideal device to help you build model engines. It's this forum (and others similar to it). Each builder can bring his specific combination of problem, available tools, skills, etc. to the forum and get specific directions tailored to his situation. That's much better than any book, no matter how well written, can ever provide.

As to all the money such a book could bring in... I guess you've never authored anything for sale. Maybe if they made a movie from the book...yeah, right, that would do it. I can see the advert now...

'How to Build Model Engines" - the musical! Opening soon at a machine shop near you.

Sorry, Marv, you are missing the point. All of the terrific information, knowledge, and expertise on this forum is great, but it doesn't do what a book could do. A book doesn't have to have very different way to do each operation, but it could have one or two of the simplest ways. It could give you the overall picture of what it takes to complete and run an engine. The book idea would organize the info into a logical sequence of operations. It could cover the basics, with suggestions for more advanced to follow. It would put the major operations, pitfalls, etc., in one place.
For example, today I went looking for an excellent build for valve cages. Didn't find it. It's in there and I will look again until I find it, bit it would be easily found in a book in a logical place (the index).
And, a movie would be better at many things, so you can work on that right after the book is published.
Yes, this forum is the greatest, but there are other needs that a hard copy in your hand would be more immediate and perhaps better at.
Surely my statements about all of the $$ was somewhat fascetious, but there might be enough of it to make it rewarding beyond the satisfaction of seeing you're ideas in print for years to come.
I think a book would supplement the forum in permanence, convenience, and serve to clarify and summarize some of the more basic and important aspects of model building. It would be great for beginners and those learning.
I'm sure that others collect hard copies of subjects from the Forum like I do about things they want to remember and have in hand, like your website.
Give it some thought.
The musical.. I didn't even think of that!

I think a book would be a great idea, I'd buy it.

And the wife has been going on for ages about seeing a musical, not sure this is what she meant tho!

'How to Build Model Engines" - the musical! Opening soon at a machine shop near you.

Hey, I can play the gramophone, reckon there's a part in it for me?

mosey:
Thank you for the confidence in the abilities of some of the folks here.

writing a book ,editing, illustrating finding a publisher etc is a major endeavor.

as Marv has pointed out this is not a easy subject to cover well. there are many makes and models of machinery. there are many perspectives and skill levels. It is a broad subject that need s to directed to a small niche market.
as for the $$ see above small niche market.
Can it be done yes!! has it been done again yes!

Why not buy some of the books that have been published?
Tin

Exactly to the point. Ron's book is great and describes a complex advanced build.

What I am saying is that in addition to the great stuff on this forum, there is a place for a book that can help those less skilled and experienced to build basic engines.
I know of no books currently around that do that.

Simple Model Steam Engines by Stan Bray

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Simple-Model-Steam-Engines/dp/1861267738

Simple Model steam engines Tubal Cain
http://www.amazon.com/Building-Simple-Model-Steam-Engines/dp/1854861042

Simple Model steam engines book 2 Tubal Cain
http://www.powells.com/biblio/66-9781854861474-0

Model stationary and marine steam engines KN Harris
http://www.amazon.com/Model-Stationary-Marine-Steam-Engines/dp/0853440727/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Model Marine engines Stan Bray
http://www.amazon.com/Model-Marine-Steam-Stan-Bray/dp/1591144930/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Rudy Kouhoupt build books (three)
https://secure.villagepress.com/store/items/detail/item/1672

Elmers engines plans with build instructions

http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html
Acquire the above books build the models and then you can write your own book.
Tin

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mosey

I think you have a good idea, it just needs a bit of panel beating to bring it to life.

However the published book thing realy has been done before, with "simple engines". (as Tin Says)

Here's a couple in my library

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Simple-Model-Steam-Engines/dp/1854861476

for a Hard copy of the setups and techniques try Peter wrights book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Engineering-A-Foundation-Course/dp/1854861522

Given that most of what's needed is already here in the forum, You could build, for all of us, a comprehensive book like (printable) index for HMEM.
We would then have the absolute best of both print and soft copy.

What do you think mosey, are you up for it?

I 'm sure the members would very much appreciate the effort.

Bez

Probably an easier task would be to take on of the old public domain model engineering books, such as Greenlee, and add comments to it chapter by chapter, to modernize it where necessary/required.

Greenlee laid it all out in superb detail way back in the 1920's, and most of the information is still valid today.
It would be a shame to have to totally reinvent the wheel in 2012.

The focus in 1920 seemed to be more on gray cast iron castings and highly authentic models, based on readily available full-sized engines which could easily be examined and measured.

These days the trend is to scratch build from aluminum using stock shapes, and while these modern engines can be beautiful and highly functional, they do different significantly from what was called model engineering in 1920.

If you like bling, then more power to you, but I guess I would like to revisit model engineering via added comments to Greenlee, and then have a bling/modern fasteners (capscrews, loctite, plastic piston rings, etc) chapter for those who are into that sort of thing.

Certainly this topic can start a Hatfield/McCoy discussion, but I am not for or against any particular method of model building, but I certainly appreciate the history of model building, and enjoy knowing how we got to this point, and how they use to design and build models.

The definition of "model building" is whatever you enjoy, but I do like history and authenticity.
Just my preferences.

Bezalel said:
Hi Mosey

I think you have a good idea, it just needs a bit of panel beating to bring it to life.

However the published book thing realy has been done before, with "simple engines". (as Tin Says)

Here's a couple in my library

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Simple-Model-Steam-Engines/dp/1854861476

for a Hard copy of the setups and techniques try Peter wrights book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Engineering-A-Foundation-Course/dp/1854861522

Given that most of what's needed is already here in the forum, You could build, for all of us, a comprehensive book like (printable) index for HMEM.

What do you think mosey, are you up for it?

I 'm sure the members would very much appreciate the effort.

Bez
I'm delighted to have initiated this discussion, as I've learned a lot.

Thanks, Tin for the list, some of which I have, some must get.

No, sorry, I'm not able to put the time into that printable index at this time, as I am in the last stage of building my Silver Bullet. I am putting certain top builld sections together for my own little manual, and will continue as I go along. And, there is also the little issue of my still working, which sucks up the time. As time goes on, I will hopefully have a fair set of build tutorials, that I will gladly share.
More to follow...

My feeling is that you already have in place the ideal device to help you build model engines. It's this forum (and others similar to it). Each builder can bring his specific combination of problem, available tools, skills, etc. to the forum and get specific directions tailored to his situation. That's much better than any book, no matter how well written, can ever provide.
Marv

I could not agree with Marv more.
There is much to be said for books, but forums are sort of like dynamic books, and you can ask the book questions about a huge variety of topics, and taylored to your particular style of build/materials/machinery/software.

The amount of experience abvailable on this forum is vast, and the knowledge base is very wide. People here are ready and willing to help.

And this forum is commercial-free, thank goodness no blinking flashing moving garbage cluttering up the screen.

Great forum, great people on the forum.
We should really send donations.

Bezalel said:

I'm done with my first draft of this... I call it 'search.' Rake was kind enough to let me put it up as a link in the upper right corner.

It's not a fully comprehensive index, alas. you still have to guide it towards what you want with a few keywords, but it's pretty handy already!

- Ryan

You're quite right Ryan -

I think I'll be persevering with the search engine.......

Until the musical comes out ;D

Bez

Mosey,

I think you are right to attempt to get us all involved in writing a 'book', unfortunately, getting it done isn't as easy as it sounds.

You would really need to start off with a particular engine in mind, and that would cause problems straight away, i/c, steam, Stirling etc etc etc. just so that you would have some continuity in the build. How do you tell someone that he has to show making a part for an i/c engine when all he is interested in is say Stirling engines, and vice versa.

The best way would be to find not too long, but outstanding posts on here, about building a particular type of engine, edit out all the replies and junk remarks, clean the build up a bit by taking out some of the warts and all, then that would make one good chapter.

Do that ten times with ten different types of engine, and you have your book.

Get someone to host the book, and let it be downloaded free of charge, or make say a small donation of a couple of bucks to help this site along.

Otherwise, just download my 'roughie' book and have a read, it might give you a few good tips, then throw it away after you are done with it, nothing lost.

http://www.machinistblog.com/bogstandards-paddleduck-engine-plans/

BTW, the one thing I don't like about your suggestion is making money from it. I give my time and effort freely to anyone who cares to read about it, as I am sure most others do as well. The thought of making money from my ramblings doesn't appeal to me one little bit.

John

Not suggesting that anyone here necessarily would do such a thing, but writing a collaborative and then selling it can very quickly lead to all sorts of hurt feelings, he said she said, and potentially lawsuits, as one person might say they contributed more and deserve a bigger cut, or this or that.

I wish humanity was more trustworthy in this era, but sad to say, this is what happens often in these situations. Just look at all the lawsuits about lottery pools gone wrong lately.

My post about the search feature was intended as a joke. It can be very difficult to figure out just what wording you need to use to get what you are looking for. I think it would be neat to have at least a comprehensive index of build logs, so one could quickly find all of the build logs done for a particular engine.

One trick to searching, if you can't find what you want using the forum search, is to use google. You can tell it to search a specific site, with a search string like :

site:homemodelenginemachinist.com Edwards radial

Where 'Edwards radial' is what you are searching for. Google uses a different search algorithm that lets it find hits where the words are not necessarily consecutive, or even in order.

-Ryan, who needs to use search more often before asking his questions.

What Bogs said.
If you haven't read his "Paddleduck" book, do it now.
It applies to building any small engine. I've learned so many techniques and an excellent sense of how to approach a build.
Not to be missed.
Best
Stan

A couple of years ago, some may remember, a forum member who went by the name "BigBore" took it upon himself to take some of the build threads going on at the time and cull the impertinent posts, then combine what was left into a cohesive pdf document then post it in the Downloads section. It appeared he was getting quite a bit of enjoyment from this activity and did this with maybe 6 or 7 build threads, including mine. Then one day, suddenly, he was gone, never to be heard from again. I still wonder where he went and hope he is ok. I still remember his tag line: "I've got your back."

Latest posts

Back