How to an Where to Post a suggested Topic

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought two new Face Mills for my Mini Mil
1. was from AliExpress c/w R8 arbor
2. Was from Bangoodd with out the R8 arbor
3. Carbide inserts for the common tooling insert of the above items.
I was surprised only in that what was indicated as about 3 months delivery was more like 3 weeks.
The Visible Quality looks good.
I have not installed either tool and inserted in to the Mill to measure the run out yet.
However I am very impressed that both avenues wan to do business rather than what I have been experiencing from South of the border lately (Item not shipped to Canada) or when it arrives the FedEx, UPS, USPS brokerage amounts to more than the price Paid to buy direct from the Manufacturer.
Does anyone else want to share their experience on this subject.

OK
More specific
Item 1
90 Degree R8 FMB22 Straight Shank Arbor Face End Mill Cutter 4pcs APMT1604 Carbide Inserts Turning Tool
Item 2
63mm Face Milling Cutter for Apmt1604 Carbide Insert
Both have arrived and visually look quite good
I have yet to insert into the Mill and measure the run out
The Reviews for similar products running on a similar mill to mine have been good.
Most of the finish difference can be accounted for the selection of the cutting insert for the metal being cut and the Speed and feeds use to make the cut.
I select these two face mills which use the same carbide insert with the main difference is the orientation of the insert
Item One the insert is Vertical
Item Two the insert is Horizontal
It will be interesting to see how each one measure up and how each cuts.
The style of insert has a range of different insert depending on the metal it is required to cut.
I have to be careful as I want to produce a finished project not just make chips ha ha

I bought two new Face Mills for my Mini Mil
1. was from AliExpress c/w R8 arbor
2. Was from Bangoodd with out the R8 arbor
3. Carbide inserts for the common tooling insert of the above items.
I was surprised only in that what was indicated as about 3 months delivery was more like 3 weeks.
The Visible Quality looks good.
I have not installed either tool and inserted in to the Mill to measure the run out yet.
However I am very impressed that both avenues wan to do business rather than what I have been experiencing from South of the border lately (Item not shipped to Canada) or when it arrives the FedEx, UPS, USPS brokerage amounts to more than the price Paid to buy direct from the Manufacturer.
Does anyone else want to share their experience on this subject.
Yes, I likes this idea. Why not just call this post "how and where to buy tooling"? I lives "south of the border" but I doesn't have the problem with shipping. I has the problem with the prices. I too buy from Banggood who trusts them like a fly trusts a human with a flyswatter, and I also buy from Aliexpress whom I trusts them even LESS than Banggood. I have also bought from "made in India" where many peopl,e sell like gog and magog (amazonk). I wrote about a milling attachment that I bought from India--good and ridiculous. I also lookt into buying a lathe from Bulgaria but they just sent me to their expensive importer "south of the border". There must be good stuff from Poland and Hungary but I have not seen anyone's views on that. What's it like in UK, is it possible to buy from Poland and Hungary without getting stung on shipping and import tax?

Yes, I likes this idea. Why not just call this post "how and where to buy tooling"? I lives "south of the border" but I doesn't have the problem with shipping. I has the problem with the prices. I too buy from Banggood who trusts them like a fly trusts a human with a flyswatter, and I also buy from Aliexpress whom I trusts them even LESS than Banggood. I have also bought from "made in India" where many peopl,e sell like gog and magog (amazonk). I wrote about a milling attachment that I bought from India--good and ridiculous. I also lookt into buying a lathe from Bulgaria but they just sent me to their expensive importer "south of the border". There must be good stuff from Poland and Hungary but I have not seen anyone's views on that. What's it like in UK, is it possible to buy from Poland and Hungary without getting stung on shipping and import tax?
According to my daughter who lives in London she has until COVID-19 and BREXIT been able to do virtually anything and go anywhere, and import or export at will. This all has changed of course.
Her in Canada we had for convenience imported much of our requirements from the US. Starting about 3-4 years ago, Cannot ship this item to Canada, began. Plus at the same time the Brokerage fees began on the item that were shipped, making the item virtually doubling in cost.
So I now carefully order direct for the source country. So far I have not run into any difficulties.
I have begun to look into other potential items and the waters become more murky as I attempt to filter my way through the cloudy waters of the ordering process.

According to my daughter who lives in London she has until COVID-19 and BREXIT been able to do virtually anything and go anywhere, and import or export at will. This all has changed of course.
Her in Canada we had for convenience imported much of our requirements from the US. Starting about 3-4 years ago, Cannot ship this item to Canada, began. Plus at the same time the Brokerage fees began on the item that were shipped, making the item virtually doubling in cost.
So I now carefully order direct for the source country. So far I have not run into any difficulties.
I have begun to look into other potential items and the waters become more murky as I attempt to filter my way through the cloudy waters of the ordering process.
A conspiracy friend in Australia claims this is being done on purpose, that it is part of some plan. I believe it is probably true, but one thing confuses me: What is the motive? to destroy small business? To control ALL the money? To reduce the population? All these things are capable and even probable by the international banksters who are the only group powerful enough to do such a thing. And in certain ways, they may be correct, viz: out of control population explosion particularly in SE Asia.

I wonder why it is still cheaper for me,"south of the border" to buy from Asia. Has it got something to do with such a conspiracy?

I would like to start a thread based on ordering new tooling etc direct from the manufacturer rather than through a North American Middle man.
Likely not of much use but when I last visited EMO in Hannover there were more than a few tooling companies in Europe that were quite interested in drop shipping to me here in Canuckistan. Mind you this was all premium quality tooling but the pricing was quite astounding at the time - - - dunno about today!

This may not be the place to ask but, has anyone tried Drill Hog bits? There is a store front on eBay and are also available from Amazon. They claim to offer a lifetime warranty.
if you have what are your thoughts on their performance?

Likely not of much use but when I last visited EMO in Hannover there were more than a few tooling companies in Europe that were quite interested in drop shipping to me here in Canuckistan. Mind you this was all premium quality tooling but the pricing was quite astounding at the time - - - dunno about today!
Could your explain EMO, por favor? ANd when was that that you were there? Makes a difference to know this. Am very interested in this.

This may not be the place to ask but, has anyone tried Drill Hog bits? There is a store front on eBay and are also available from Amazon. They claim to offer a lifetime warranty.
if you have what are your thoughts on their performance?
Ha ha HAAWW!. Yes, LIFETIME, like as in "as long as it lasts". Remember when "lifetime" meant 99 years? Then it changed to "lifetime" is 10 years? In the Philippines and I suspect SE Asia in general, 'lifetime' means as soon as you get out the door with the product. (It's give me your money, here's your product, now get the hell out of my store and don't come back till you have more $$)

Ha ha HAAWW!. Yes, LIFETIME, like as in "as long as it lasts". Remember when "lifetime" meant 99 years?
100% accurate marketing, lifetime of the item means the same as it does for you or me, until the part fails/dies! ;)
BTW, EMO = Exposition Mondiale de la Machine-Outil (Machine Tool World Exposition)

Ha ha HAAWW!. Yes, LIFETIME, like as in "as long as it lasts". Remember when "lifetime" meant 99 years? Then it changed to "lifetime" is 10 years? In the Philippines and I suspect SE Asia in general, 'lifetime' means as soon as you get out the door with the product. (It's give me your money, here's your product, now get the hell out of my store and don't come back till you have more $$)
I’m sorry I included any mention of the warranty. My question should have be does anyone have experience with Drill Hog drill bits?

Could your explain EMO, por favor? ANd when was that that you were there? Makes a difference to know this. Am very interested in this.
The what has already been explained and I went in both 2001 and 2005. (I was supposed to fly 2001.09.11 but you do know what happened that day - - - yes? I did get there but there's a mountain of stories about all that 'fun'!!!) Haven't been since - - - I went for business reasons and realized that yes - - - I could do what I envisioned but I would be doing it to make other people wealthy and I would be left with only the joy of having developed the processes - - - - so I dropped the ideas.

The what has already been explained and I went in both 2001 and 2005. (I was supposed to fly 2001.09.11 but you do know what happened that day - - - yes? I did get there but there's a mountain of stories about all that 'fun'!!!) Haven't been since - - - I went for business reasons and realized that yes - - - I could do what I envisioned but I would be doing it to make other people wealthy and I would be left with only the joy of having developed the processes - - - - so I dropped the ideas.
Ah, yes, I am the same, I have lot's of ideas (some of them naughty) which would make OTHERs wealthy and I might get a pat on the butt or a plastic watch so I simply refuse to give out these ideas. I workt for a good company once that on accepting employment I had to sign a form that basically said that if I got an idea the company could use, I was to write it down immediately (the way it was written was as if I were sleeping and had a dream even) and submit it to the company. Well, I know better than that. Altho' it was a good place to work, it was filled with exploiters, psychopaths and con men

Ah, yes, I am the same, I have lot's of ideas (some of them naughty) which would make OTHERs wealthy and I might get a pat on the butt or a plastic watch so I simply refuse to give out these ideas. I workt for a good company once that on accepting employment I had to sign a form that basically said that if I got an idea the company could use, I was to write it down immediately (the way it was written was as if I were sleeping and had a dream even) and submit it to the company. Well, I know better than that. Altho' it was a good place to work, it was filled with exploiters, psychopaths and con men
Similar but maybe even more so - - - I was finishing my apprenticeship at a company and they asked me to sign a doc that indicated that they owned anything that I learned at said place. Told the supervisor (pretty much a stupervisor sorry to say) that I couldn't sign that as it was written because it would preclude me getting a job with another machine shop (he sure didn't like that). They changed the doc to anything pertaining to the business of the company - - - then I signed. In all fairness they had had an issue (dunno about more than once) of people trying to steal their technological stuff.

Similar but maybe even more so - - - I was finishing my apprenticeship at a company and they asked me to sign a doc that indicated that they owned anything that I learned at said place. Told the supervisor (pretty much a stupervisor sorry to say) that I couldn't sign that as it was written because it would preclude me getting a job with another machine shop (he sure didn't like that). They changed the doc to anything pertaining to the business of the company - - - then I signed. In all fairness they had had an issue (dunno about more than once) of people trying to steal their technological stuff.
Yes, I get that, a company DOEs indeed have that right, but to steal OUR ideas, Oh, that's OK by them.

Latest posts

Back