How Steam Locomotives Really Work

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubletop

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
If you want and excellent book on the subject take a look at this available on Amazon. It covers the history and design of locomotives from Trevithick to the Tornado how they function from an operational perspective, and covers everything you may ever think you'd want to know on the subject. It's answered all the questions I had and lots I didn't know I had. Plenty of diagrams and photos to support the well written narrative. Written by Peter Semmens ex Deputy Head of the National Railway Museum and Alan Goldfinch ex CMEE on the Eastern Region.

http://www.amazon.com/Steam-Locomotives-Really-Popular-Science/dp/0198607822/ref=cm_sw_em_r_asp_gjw5D.099V5Q4_tt

I stumbled across it seeking books to read on my kindle. On the Kindle it is OK but the pictures don't come out that well, so I now have the paperback on its way.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale

Enjoy the read

Pete

Bought a hardcover,thanks Pete.
Crab

Crab

I thought the hardcover version was a bit too expensive so opted for the paperback at $14.18

Enjoy

I've just taken time to read the reviews. With a Kindle you can download a sample getting the first few chapters so reading the reviews tends to be unnecessary.

I'm sure Amazon won't object to me copying them here for the benefit of others

`This book is essential reading for anyone interested in the realities of steam traction.' Transport Digest

`. . . an excellent treatment of theory, practice and history . . . It will fascinate engineers and railway enthusiasts, as well as prove a source of interesting historical and technical teaching material.' New Scientist

`Enthusiasts will be riveted.' Yorkshire Evening Press

`. . . a most worthy book at an attractive price for anyone interested in steam locomotive technology.' The Newcomen Society

`Excellent value for money.' Railnews

`To enable train enthusiasts to understand the workings of the various types of engines in use, this book describes the anatomy and physiology of the steam train. It covers the design of the engine, the process of converting fuel into mechanical tractive effort to haul passenger and freight trains, the function and design of the various components of the engine, and the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of steam locomotives. Although the steam locomotive originated in the United Kingdom, there were parallel lines of development in North America and Europe, and the individual features of these are also covered.' Mechanical Engineering

Pete

I've had that book for many years. Agree, great reference !!

Latest posts

Back