How much boiler?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakc

Reaction score
I am trying to deceide if a project is feasible. I would like a steam powered emergency generator that can run say 4000 watts of electrical equipment. Some of the ham radio operators on this board may realize there is a field day bonus for renewable energy. :)

Now to get 4k watts of power would roughly take 8000 watts of input to a generator. From here on out my experiance is very thin. I doubt a super efficient steam turbine is a likely project, so I am leaning to a triple expansion, but have no idea of a reasonable efficiency factor. From whatever efficiency factor what size boiler would it take to run this?

Based on my experience with smallish steam....Id bet on about 10% Efficiency from the firebox to the shaft.........
so if you had a 50% efficient generator
You need 100000 watts or so input.

Make sure you have lots of well seasoned firewood,as green wood doesn't burn well

I'd go even lower than that if it's a reciprocating engine non condensing. At the very very best 6%. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

I found out how well rubber burns while torching a bushing working on my daughters car yesterday. :)

Thanks for the input folks!

And by the way....a "small" boiler is more like 25% efficient.....not the best way to get the job done I'm afraid...

Dave

Back