how i made the B.J.Cicada Model Diesel Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hallo Model Engine fans,

This thread is a following up about my own made model engine(s).
I already have showed them and spoke about them in my first two threads you probably already know.
I have made a collage from the photo's i made during the process of making them one by one.
I hope you like this photo compilation which will give you an idea that when having enough interest in model engines most of you can make.
This first photo compilation was made from the smallest model engine i made up till today.
The capacity from the engine is just 1,4 cc ,it's a long stroke combustion engine made from scrap material which seemed good enough to make this engine from.

greetings from modelmotor.

DSC02353.jpg

DSC02359.jpg

DSC02320.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

DSC02322.jpg

DSC02361.jpg

DSC02327.jpg

Hallo Model Engine Friends,

Here are a couple of new photo's made during the time that i made my own small CiCaDa 1,4 model engine.
It took one Winter season to make the engine and in the late Winter time i made it run for the very first time.
The piston/cilinder fit was good enough and after some try outs the engine started to run for the first time.It runs really cool so it wan't heat up
very fast
The totall running time at this moment is more then 45 minutes to me it seemed Ok in quality and fit all over.
I hope you like these photo's as well,but i think i am sure you will.

many greetings from,

modelmotor-Gerard-The Netherlands-Europe.

DSC02305.jpg

DSC02311.jpg

DSC02384.jpg

DSC02371.jpg

This is the type of engine I was looking to build. Love the combustion ignition, and the size. It looks great. Would love to se and hear it run.

Hallo ,

Thank you for you sympathic reaction on my thread.
There will still come more photo's made during the making from
this little engine.
It runs very good at this time and the total running time up till now is 1 1/2hour so i am very happy with this result.
I am not a real trained engineer,but stilll have had some technical
school in working with all kind of metals,but that was in the past.
My technical interest in combustion engines is already with me from
about the age of 15 years when i started one of the first model
diesel engines from my father a Webra 2,5 R.That was the start and today my own running engines gives me great feelings you might know.
You can see my CICADA 1.4 cc engine running on www.youtube.com
You might type in : Gerard1modelengine and then you see the
engines running.
If you have more questions left please feel free to let me know.

many greetings from,

Here are a couple of photos made during the production from my small CICADA 1,4 model diesel engine.
I hope that these photo's will be of interest to all of you,but i think they will.

many greetings from,

DSC02389.jpg

DSC02391.jpg

DSC02395.jpg

DSC02400.jpg

DSC02405.jpg

DSC02408.jpg

DSC02411.jpg

DSC02413.jpg

DSC02461.jpg

I found several new photo's from the Cicada 1,4 cc Model Engine during the time i was busy making it.
The engine at this time part in my showcase after many running minutes gives me a very good feeling you will understand.
At the end of my photo session i will make a list of the material i used to built the engine from.

many greetings from,

DSC02458.jpg

DSC02459.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

DSC02461.jpg

DSC02437.jpg

DSC02435.jpg

DSC02432.jpg

DSC02433.jpg

DSC02478.jpg

DSC02517.jpg

hand made.jpg

Hallo Model Engine Friends from all over the world,

I still found a last couple of photos made during the process of building from my Cicada 1,4 model diesel engine.I hope they are of any interest to you.
There's a photo frommy milling maschine during the milling activity to make conrod for this engine.Then you have photo from the conrod with a bolt and nut in each hole.The conrod is still square at that time.A few photos made from the complete finished engine and at last a simple made Christmas card which shows my finished model diesel engines.a couple of photos accompagny this thread about my home built Cicada engine.
If any help to produce one of these engines is necessary please feel very youre welcome.

with a lot of greetings from

modelmotor-Gerard-The Netherlands.

DSC02431.jpg

DSC02490.jpg

DSC02508.jpg

DSC02416.jpg

DSC02418.jpg

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02420.jpg

DSC02454.jpg

DSC02451.jpg

DSC02744.jpg

Hallo Barnesrickw,

Thank you very much for your compliments about my B.J.Cicada photo story.
I feel very pleased that you liked my photo log about the making from this wonderfull small combustion engine.

many greetings from,

modelmotor-Europe.

I appreciate the time you took to log your work. it helps show the process, and serves to educate.

Hallo Baron,

Thanks also for your compliments about my Cicada home built model engine thread/log.
These photos show roughly what steps must be made to built such a small model engine your own.
Indeed the Best Wishes and New Years Photo Card was made in a to small time limit cause of all kinds of reasons.
The Idea was OK ,but the result was certainly not that what it has to be.By the way Baron a Healthy and Happy Christmas and New Year for you and of course for all the other Model Engine Friends who were of great help by supporting me with very positive thoughts on my threads ,so therefore all of you many thanks from modelmotor-Gerard Netherlands-Europe.

Hallo barnesrickw,

Indeed it was much work because of the fact that i had all the photos on different CD's ,but it was a pleasure doiing it.
I hope and think that people can see how these constructions all works and maybe they find ideas after watching my photo impression made from the Cicada 1,4 home built model diesel engine.
As far as i know i must still have 2 photo compilations made during the construction from the Boll Major 4,4 and the Boll Aero 1.8 cc both model diesel engines designed by Mr.Chris Boll from England who was of great help during the making from these engines.
I will probably make a new thread from those engines in the nearby future.In The Netherlands it's Wintertime now ,but the weather is very instabile at this moment and after my illness i have to take good care on my self you will understand.I had the idea to built Tom Cromptons very small 0.5 cc EZE model diesel engine this Winter but after such a long term illness the motivation was gone a little bit ,but still is there so who knows what can happen.Thanks anyway for your kind reactions on my photos.

many greetings from,

You can see my little B.J.Cicada model diesel engine run for the very first time on www.youtube.com
You only have to type in the small link:Gerard1modelengine and then you can see my B.J.Cicada model diesel engine running and also my home made Boll 4,4 cc model diesel engine.
I will probably make a thread in the future with many of the construction photos from the Boll Major 4,4 model diesel engine as well.
The material to built my engines from if not avaliable in my own country were bought by "College Engineering Supply" --Wolverhampton-England.They have a website www.collegeengineering.co.uk and they can supply all the different kinds of Aloy,Brass,Bronze,Silver Steel,high tensile steel as well as normal mild steel in Sheet,Square,tube and Bar material.
A list from the materials i used to make my B.J.Cicada model diesel engine will come in a while.

many greetings from,

Gerard, I am also building the cicada, yours looks wonderfull.

can I ask what material did you use for the cylinder? the plans call for L24 but I would like to know what you used?

Latest posts

Back