How do you store your tapered tools?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hacklordsniper

Reaction score
I wonder how do other people store their tapered tools (ISO 40, MT4...)? I dont like the idea of standard tool cabinet since everytime i open a drawer tools knock one in each other.

There are nice cabinets exactly for that purpose, but they are too expensive (cost 4-5 times more than regulat tool cabinets)

You can build little wooden segments to divide the drawers into suitable size sections.
Or you can build a wall rack -- basically a shelf with holes drilled in it that is just smaller than the large end of the taper.
Or you can put cardboard tubes over the tapers. The centres out of toilet paper rolls, garbage sack rolls etc provide a range of sizes to slip over different size tapers and protect them.

Last edited:
I got one of these today like on first picture, quite expensive but very nice. I also got an local offer for tool cart, 850 $ for attached cart. I could buy 3 regular, 2 times larger tool chests. I wonder why are they so expensive

9b74778b-4d1a-49a8-96eb-c5d5390b9596_2.JPG

tooling-trolleys-500x500.jpg

The storage of the long bits is an issue. I use paper tubes whenever I get them. I have found the multi layer system works well.

The bits are placed on top of each other like logs in a pile. all tapers same direction, as most bits are larger than the tapered shank, dings on the taper are few. And its not like I use them every day. The multi layer keeps the drills from moving around when opening the drawer.

A guy was selling 1" id plastic telescoping tubes for cheap so I got a bunch, they fit great on smaller bits, mandrels etc.

A cart full of long bits to me is a waste of floorspace, I could buy a small mill or something to fit that floor space.

Latest posts

Back