How do you pronounce "Lima"?...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a soft drink (Lima Cola) ;D

or

Maybe it's like Arkansaw or should I say Arkansas now that's a real doozy ;)

Best Regards
Bob

In the movies when using the phonetic alphabet it is leema as in alfa bravo leema (abl)

Well there is Newark NJ commonly refereed to as newerk . and Newark DE pronounced New Arc Same spelling .
Tin

North Carolina and South Carolina each have a coastal town name Beaufort. In one state its called "Bo fort" and in the other its called "Bew fort." I'm not sure which is which.

Jerry

ianjkirby said:
Hi all,
I am watching a tv program about rebuilding Abrams tanks, and they are re-assembled in a factory in Lima Ohio.

I saw that show and it was quite interesting how they rebuild the M1 tanks. Don't recall if it was Modern Marvels or some other show.

What about Schaublin (Schäublin) how would you pronounce that. Its made in a french speaking part of CH, still looks german in origin?

steamer said:
Or even better yet...Worcester.....you boys from Central Mass.....Don't let it out of the bag
Dave,
Two of my best chums from my days in the Navy were two native lads from the heart of Worcester Mass and they informed me in no uncertain terms that the correct pronunciation was WIS-TAH . . . not wis-tuh, WIS-TAH. Which brings me to the pronunciation of the sauce of that name, which even in the deep south we have always pronounced WIST-TAH-SHEER.

Lima, OH, was named after Lima, Peru, so the correct way to pronounce it SHOULD be "Lee-mah", not "Lie-mah". I suspect that over time, the name's pronunciation was changed to "Lie-mah", to distinguish it from it's namesake.

Hallo guys
English is not my mother language but this thread is rather interesting
for me because in my country we do not have this kind of
pronounce problems. We pronounce every word as is written.
Anyway i would like to know how many different pronounce do you have
for word GARAGE.
Thank you

Worcester is correctly pronounced 'Wooster' as in 'Bertie' Wooster.

Derby- the town in the UK is 'Darby'- whatever way you wear your hat.

In Castillian Spanish( arguably the purest form) i is pronounce ee and e is pronounced i( eye)
Now I'm a Spanish 'Don' so don't argue.

What people have to remember is that 'Bucket' as in the TV series is 'Bouquet'- or so Mrs B says. Mainwaring in the ancient TV thing is 'Manner-ing' and I live in a place called Gosforth but pronounced- Goss-forth and not Goes- 4th! Newcastle upon Tyne is New-cassel which is actually Old Castle. It looks it- too!

Getting into the Scots- and Scotch is a drink not a language, it gets weirder. In French, weirder still. The town of Reims- famous for its jackdaw and its buckets of champagne is not Reems but Ran-ce or something like that.

As it is Burns Night- wee Rabbie wrote his name somewhat oddly. Somewhere someone said that he went into a Masonic meeting- signed his name in the book and signed differently on the way out. Mebbe, the drink! But the Burns poem on the Haggis- that creature with two legs shorter than the others- so it can go around Scottish mountains without falling over is translated in its Ode by the Germans as 'Great Fuehrer of the Sausage People'

And within a few short days it will be- The Year of the Horse in the Chinese New Year. Last year, I won the star prize of a karaoke machine at the Chinese New Year banquet- and didn't know how to blow it.

Bye

N

Anyway i would like to know how many different pronounce do you have
for word GARAGE.
Thank you

I have a couple of English friends, they must be from the same area, they both pronounce Garage as Garrige, here in Australia we pronounce it as "Gararge" or "Garaage", they both sound the same to me.

Paul.

Last edited:
Garage is like so many so called English words- that are actually French. We also get chauffeur which has absolutely no connection with pointing a car in the right direction but refers to- someone who chucked coal or wood into a furnace or boiler. In other words, a stoker!
If you look at engineer as a word, it is yet again French and has little or nothing to do with machine minding or whatever we do- but it refers to 'inventing something'

Years and years ago, my dear old teachers remarked about our inability to understand our own language. Bless them, now they would turn in their graves! We cannot even spell- English or whatever they call American.

Last edited:
Herbs and Solder make me laugh, why the H and L get completely removed in America is anyone's guess ... Rof}

Aside from the different pronunciation of names, I believe that you can always tell which young people have not read many books, their use of grammar, punctuation and spelling leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of this is picked up by reading books and other printed matter. Don't get me wrong, I make mistakes, but always try to proof read things, and I won't run others down who get it wrong.

Paul.

Last edited:
I grew up knowing a lot of tongues, knowing the English language and others. Yes, I am from a UK based family. What I find intriguing is the many derivations on words and sayings. I don't need an interpreter to understand Liverpool, Welch, Manchester, London, Scottish, Irish, Southern US or Australian. Despite it's diversity we all seem to understand each well enough. That said, please understand that I am not casting a shadow upon other languages, as they are equally great. What matters most is that we are all humans, created equally. Machinists speak a common tongue, that of math and metal.

some folks in this area say cousint instead of cousin. There are people in the northern part of the state in a place called Joysee City, spelled Jersey City.

Take a long roll of French or Italian bread, place slices of meat cheese, tomatoes onion,and some shredded lettuce and what do you have?

A submarine sandwich, also known as a sub, hoagie, hero, grinder, Auggie(Perchlak), or one of many regional naming variations, is a sandwich that consists of a long roll of Italian or French bread, split widthwise either into two pieces or opened in a "V" on one side, and filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, vegetables, seasonings, and sauces.[1] The sandwich has no standardized name, and many U.S. regions have their own names for it.

Barb Mills (ham and provolone cheese, baked) – North Central Pennsylvania, Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania in the 1950s and 1960s
Blimpie (shaped like a blimp) – From the Hoboken, New Jersey–founded chain, Blimpie.
Cheesesteak, in Philadelphia a roll filled with steak and cheese.
Cosmo (cosmopolitan) – North Central Pennsylvania near Williamsport: a hot hoagie or a grinder
Filled Roll / Salad Roll – New Zealand
Gatsby – Cape Town, South Africa
Italian Sandwich – Maine and other parts of New England.
Poor boy – St. Louis
Po' Boy – Louisiana
Rocket (shaped like a rocket) – various areas.
Sous-marin – a variety popular in Quebec (Canada) (also a literal translation of "submarine" into French)
Spuckie (Italian-American slang for a long roll, from spucadella, the name of onesuch) – Boston, Massachusetts (used particularly in Italian immigrant neighborhoods)
Torpedo (shaped like a torpedo) – New York, New Jersey, other areas.
Tunnel – Various New England areas.
Wedge (served between two wedges of bread) – Prevalent in Yonkers, New York and other parts of Westchester County, New York, The Bronx, Putnam County, New York and other portions of Upstate New York, as well as lower Fairfield County, Connecticut.[18]
Zeppelin or Zep – eastern Pennsylvania.

In England it is a Baguette named after the French bread that is used.

Tell me it is not confusing when there is 15 to 20 names for a sandwich on a roll. And since we are on a roll there are towns of the name sandwich.......
Tin

Back