How do you pronounce "Lima"?...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianjkirby

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am watching a tv program about rebuilding Abrams tanks, and they are re-assembled in a factory in Lima Ohio. The program narrator is pronouncing it as "Lie-ma" and I always thought it was "Leema". Can you locals please offer your preferred pronunciation, just for my education?
Regards, Ian. ;)

When referring to the town I say Lee-ma. When talking about beans though i say Lie-ma. I am pretty sure I have the bean part correct, but not sure about the town's pronunciation myself, so anxious to see what others say.

Bill

Kvom is correct.
I have been to Lima OH several times to research Shay locomotives.
The Shay shop at the Lima Locomotive Works was converted to Sherman tank assembly durring WWII.

Dan

I don't know about the town, but when I was in the construction equipment business, cranes and excavators manufactured by the Lima Mfg. Co. were usually called "Leemas", but if someone said "Liemas" you knew what the were talking about.

Jerry

lee and lie are pronounced the same from where i come from :D ly is different though lol

It's Lime-a Ohio and Leema Peru. One is American English, and the other is South American Spanish. Kind of like Rooshia (Russia) Ohio.

We have a town named lima as well and it is said "lime A"

Dave

I suspect that in Aus the general pronunciation would be lee-ma, tho' the local pronunciation would, of course, be the 'correct' one - just like out Lucknow is pronounced Luck-no!

Local pronunciations are very prevalent in south jersey.
Tin

The neighboring town is named Medina. In Ohio they pronounce it Me-deye-na but other places use the Biblical pronunciation, Me-dee-na. West of here is a city named Nevada, like the state except there they pronounce it Ne-vay-da. Just a local thing I guess.
gbritnell

In the 60's an Italian model train manufacturer produced it's (somewhat second rate)wares under the "Lima" brand,and that was pronounced Lee-ma,with the emphasis on the second syllable.Go figure.

Hey George, have you ever been to the Havana tavern, pronounced Hay vana. It's south of Monroeville, Oh.
My daughter, when in high school, once asked her History teacher how you pronounced the capital of Kentucky, was it Lou is ville, Louie ville, or Lou ville. When he responded it was Louie ville she told him actually it was pronounced Frankfort. Needless to say, she was never this teacher's pet. Dave

In my machining days I made parts for "Lime-A" shovels that were originally manufactured
in "Lime-A" Ohio.

Some of them required NICE bearings.
That was pronounced "NEICE"
scratch.gif

Rick

I'll let you ponder Leominster.....it ain't what ya think

Or even better yet...Worcester.....you boys from Central Mass.....Don't let it out of the bag :big:

Dave

Times UP

Lemon -stir......We for some reason pronounce the r's on this one.....and forget the "o"

and ...!

Woostah....no self respecting "R" need apply..... and who needs the "ces" anyway ;D

Dave

Here are a couple more to name a few:

Towns in Aust
Goondawindi is pronounced GUN-da-WIN-di,
Goonoo Goonoo is pronounced GUN-uh-GUN-oo (Gunny G'noo) as if it's one word.

Paul

I remember watching the Irish comedian Dave Allen.

He said the Irish never pronounced an "H"
A house was an "ouse"
A horse was an "orse"

He followed that up with,
"That is the reason no Irishman King Richard the 3ed using his full name"

Go figure.... :D

Rick

There is a place near me called Finzean, its pronounced "fing-en" also a place near that called Stachan its pronounced "strawn"

Latest posts

Back