How do you heat your shop ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpleknif

Reaction score
Just curious, how does everyone heat their shop? I use a kerosun heater with a 3' x 3' piece of 3/16" aluminum sitting on top. Works real well until the weather gets real cold then the floor just gets too cold to work. Got "anti fatigue mats but they don't help much.

I use a 2 burner propane heater to knock the chill off.

Dave

I use a Fujitsui Heat Pump 24k BTU at 0°F. 16 x 30 shop 6" walls and 12" in the ceiling of insulation. 70-72 all winter, 80 in the summer. Very cheap to run when its in the 40's more expensive at 0° F. This is not a normal winter for us in south Jersey.

I just got a heater set up in my shop it's 125000 btu on propane, now understand the whole shop is 35"x51" with 15" ceiling the problem I'm finding is it takes a long time to heat all that darn steel. The metal shop and the wood shop are 24"x17" in the back half the front is a 12000# two post car lift. At this point it's so cold here I don't spend a lot of time out there but Ive' set it at 55F to take off the chill and see if it stops the machines from sweating. I've found that if I close the metal shops doors it seems to stay about 60F which isn't to bad to work in. Before this I had a 10000 Btu kerosine blaster or we call them a salamander.

Todd

I have a 5000 watt, 220v electric heater, like one of these,

electric-garage-heater-3.jpg

that I use when the temperature drops below about 40 outside. It's basically a cube, about 12" on a side. It's been in the 20's that past few days and the heater will bring my garage up to around 60 in under an hour. Costs about 50 cents an hour to run it, probably no worse than my garage air conditioner in the summer. It's pretty simple, looks like an electric stove burner mounted vertically with a fan blowing across it.

Chuck

Spoiled rotten ... in-floor radiant heat. Best thing I did for the shop - other than (maybe) including a toilet and laundry sink :)

I use an electric 900 W baseboard heater it is usually set at medium. Monday when I went out in the shop it was 56oF the coldest I've seen it usually hovers in the mid - upper 60s. Maybe I should have turned it up...nahhh. The temps are supposed to be rising It was 19 when I left work today, heat wave.
Art

All I have at the moment is a basement shop, it isn't bad down there as I've been doing a lot of remodeling with a heavy focus on insulation. However this winter has been brutal with high winds and extreme cold, talk about the best laid plans! In any event the furnace has run constantly and it has literally been warmer in the cellar than the rest of the house :) 😳. So to stay warm I have to spend time in the shop.

The bad part here is that in a very real way my tool budget, which isn't much to begins with, is going up the chimney. So hopefully the cold spell will moderate soon otherwise this will be a skip year for tool purchases.

Hanging Berco electric space heater with four different wattages to chose from, I wired it for next to lowest and heats fine and is quiet. Built in t- stat. Bought it from Global Industrial.

No one from Oz seems to want to comment about this, so here goes. For probably 95% of us there is fully automatic solar heating:rolleyes:. When I came home this afternoon, on a pleasant 32C day, it was 45C in the shed. I bet our friends in Adelaide can top that by a great deal!

Ian.

No one from Oz seems to want to comment about this, so here goes. For probably 95% of us there is fully automatic solar heating:rolleyes:. When I came home this afternoon, on a pleasant 32C day, it was 45C in the shed. I bet our friends in Adelaide can top that by a great deal!

Ian.

Hmm, funny you say that. I recently purchased one of these to upgrade my heating capability in my shed

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/F026#

It hit 48 degrees C here the other day at 5:00 pm OUTSIDE my shed!

You're dead right Ian. 40 tomorrow 42 Sat and 43 Sunday. About 10 degrees hotter again in a tin shed.

Hot air trailer furnace(oil fired), set at 50 degrees, in the morning kick it up to 70 and light my old Sears wood stove, them turn the furnace back to 50 and enjoy the comfort of the fire. Usually spend about $100/$150 on oil and chain saw gas on the wood.

Back