How do you feel about using CNC?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GWRdriver said:
Shred,
As I said in my first post . . it is a slippery slope.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here just for the hell of it, and because that's sort of what this thread is about. "A slippery slope" implies that there is a line to be drawn somewhere, albeit a fuzzy one. It suggests that thing x is fine, thing y is dubious and thing z is not ok but you wouldn't notice if going x to y to z. I don't think that's true outside of personal opinion (which you so elegantly put in your first post). The debate doth rage indeed. However it's answer is simple, although getting there is not. Are you pleased with the work? Do you value it? How would you value it more? If you can answer these questions for yourself, without asking for others opinions on the matter and without needing to fulfill their value structure then you have found the thing you value and you will be satisfied. Is it CNC, Manual, with power, without; none of that matters. Are you pleased, does it take you somewhere you want to go?

I would think that the old addage "Does the end justify the means" would apply here. If you are comfortable with the means the end result will be satisfactory to you. You is the key work. I am up to date on CNC usage but am a seat of the pants machinist. I like the old fashioned way. It has served me well for years. I do not need instant gratification, I'm in no hurry. JMHO.

"Billy G"

Back