How do metals stand up over time.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmoggyTurnip

Reaction score
Looking at some of the nice finishes on the engines here gets me wondering how they will look after long periods of time. - The aluminum and brass seems to polish up like a mirror but how long will that last ?

Does anyone have any pictures of polished aluminum or bras that is 5 years old ?

Hi Smogs,

The higher the shine, the better the lasting result. I can polish ali to like chrome and if it isn't touched, about a year, brass about six months before it changes to the deeper gold look.

I have been experimenting with different laquers to protect engine turning. The best one so far is a product from Letraset, to 'fix' wax letters in position, six months on and no change at all. But I suppose it all depends on how you clean the part, fingerprints will start to show after a couple of weeks. Under laquer they reckon it is about twelve months before prints start to degrade the finish.
Professionally applied laquers will last tens of years, but get a bit of damage or wear to the laquer and that is when the problems occur. My local spray shop offers powder coated laquer, so just might give it a try.
I start polishing my engines for my display at a show in September in mid June, and if kept covered and dry they are still as shiny when I put them on display.

John

Bogstandard said:
... My local spray shop offers powder coated laquer, so just might give it a try.
John

John,

I just want to check, when you say laquer you are talking about a clear coating? I have a can of clear powder in my shop that I haven't tried yet. Maybe I will take a piece of polished aluminum or brass and powder it clear and see how it comes out.

Eric

Eric,

Yes, that is the meaning.

I think it is English and American getting mixed up again.

We call it clear lacquer, I don't know what name you have for it.

Before spraying, clean off the part with some high spirits, methylated or acetone, and only handle with a very clean cloth, or suspend from wire and dip clean. Spray when dry.
If you touch it with your fingers, start again. This is the only way I know of to prevent tarnishing under the lacquer.

John

possibly a clear anodize? not sure of the exact name. bright dip?

Somewhere I read that the place to get brass lacquer is music shops, especially those that supply instruments to the school music programs. If it can take what the kids dish out, it'll last a good long time.

Bogstandard said:
Eric,

Yes, that is the meaning.

I think it is English and American getting mixed up again.

We call it clear lacquer, I don't know what name you have for it.

Before spraying, clean off the part with some high spirits, methylated or acetone, and only handle with a very clean cloth, or suspend from wire and dip clean. Spray when dry.
If you touch it with your fingers, start again. This is the only way I know of to prevent tarnishing under the lacquer.

John

I am sure it is called lacquer here as well. However, when I think of lacquer I think of woodworking for some reason. Most people that I know call it 'clear coat'. In fact the the bottle of powder I have is labeled clear coat.

Thank you for the tips John. Also, one of these days I will learn proper English ;D It is amazing how location and separation can change a language...

Eric

I have engines that were built years ago.

Personally I like the natural oxidized look on them.
They're models of old steam engines.
In my mind new and shiny just doesn't suit them.

Then again, I AM a little strange! ;D

Rick

I juess you guys are a little more "artist" than me. I'm just an engineer, I don't even bother to take
the layout ink off lots of times. It's the experience of building the thing and how it works that is the
only important thing to me. :) Will I be "expelled" from the group?
...lew...

Lew Hartswick said:
I juess you guys are a little more "artist" than me. I'm just an engineer, I don't even bother to take
the layout ink off lots of times. It's the experience of building the thing and how it works that is the
only important thing to me. :) Will I be "expelled" from the group?
...lew...

Of course not Lew!

To me, art does equal engineering as well. So there.

Eric

There is a firm near me that polishes belt buckles etc. for Prada and Dolce & Gabbana , mostly brass, after polishing they they get dipped in tryelene (dry cleaning fluid ,I'm not sure how it's spelled in English)for a few seconds to de-grease them ,then they get a very light coat of acrylic lacquer ,just normal stuff, like you can buy in auto-parts stores so they told me, they look the business! and they have to stand up to some knocking around!, hope this helps.

Giles

Latest posts

Back