How do I clean a Clock?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilmar

Reaction score
I have a old clock ( 100 year old ),which is sticking and full of gum.
How do I clean the thing with out a ultrasonic cleaner.
I tried ignition spray, it gummed it up more. then i poured paint thinner
over the works. We will see in the morning!
Any suggestions! I need help on that one.
Wilmar

Honestly Hilmar, Stop.

I would bring it to a reputable clock maker and have it cleaned properly.

To do so requires it be taken apart, have the pivots checked for wear, bush any that are worn, remove the spring, and clean it, lubricate and then re-install, which can be dangerous if its big. and finaly put it all back together and put it in beat

And then and only then can he/she figure out what is wrong with it in the first place....

I really don't think it wise to experiment here. I have no idea of the provenence of the piece, but it might be rare or valuable, and it should be checked properly.

I mean this with great respect and honesty.

If you post me off line, and tell me approximately where you live, I perhaps can put you in touch with someone....

Warm Regards,

Dave

Hilmar said:
I have a old clock ( 100 year old ),which is sticking and full of gum.
How do I clean the thing with out a ultrasonic cleaner.
I tried ignition spray, it gummed it up more. then i poured paint thinner
over the works. We will see in the morning!
Any suggestions! I need help on that one.
Wilmar

You can degrease the works with Simple Green, or Orange clean and rinse with hot water. Repeat and rinse as needed.

The second step would be a soak in a diluted mix of ammonia and grease cutting dish soap. Always use a hot solution and hot water rinse.

I tried a commercial cleaning solution but it didn't clean any better than the mix described above.

Years ago I was a member of the N.A.W.C.C. and collected antique mantel clocks.
They all needed to be cleaned and oiled.

-MB

Wilmar, please follow Dave's advice.
Pouring solvents into it will do it no good. Now that you've done so, it really needs attention, especially if it has a mainspring.
There are a number of reasons a clock won't run. Being dirty is only the tip of the iceberg. If it's worth anything to you at all, please take it to someone who knows clock repair.

Dean

I would follow the above advice and take it to a professional clock repairer.
I have 2 clocks waiting to be repaired and I've spent several months making the tools I need to fix them and still have several more to make.
As said above dirt and old oil is only the tip of the iceberg, there is usually much more that needs to be done.

I would follow the advice of the other guy's about taking it to a reputable repair shop they are correct about taking it apart to clean and repair it. I ran a clock shop for about ten years and if it wasn't for health problems I would still be running it. What ever you do do not use WD40 on it it will really gum it up the only thing that WD40 is good for is to prevent rust on garden tools. Cliff

This might sound funny but a clockmaker told me that he boils the movements in water to clean,I have never tried it but it sounds feasible.safest way is a clock repairer.
Don

Hi Dave and all who responded to my Post.
I appreciate all the advice you gave me.

The clock is not that valued. It is old but no a special wall hanging Clock with a pendulum . It is a cheap model from around 1910 - 1920 or so. Not worth to me to spend some Money on.
The paint thinner did not work.
So I toke the movement out and put it in a Zepp Citrus Cleaner heated to about 180° F
to get the gum out. It got better but no Cigar. Still some gum left, tuff stuff!
Next will be Lacquer thinner, if that will not do it , she goes back up on the wall as is.
The movement works, no broken springs or such. Just gummed up.
Again to All many Thanks for the advise and messages.
Hilmar

i tend to agree with the above post. but have u tried alcohol it will take a lot. this is how i clean my electronics
i believe u can buy electronic cleaner in a spray form too

Your welcome Hilmar.

If you do take her down, beware the main spring. They can store a great deal of energy.

Take the spring down first. .....SLOWLY...

Then go from there.

If you do take her "down", take pictures as you go, so you know what is what later. Then ....Have Fun!......that's why we do this stuff anyway right?

Dave

You may be thinking it's "gummy" when the problem is actually egg shaped bushing bores or worn/bent pivots. In that case, it won't matter how clean you get it if the bushings are pinching the pivots.

Dean

If you are looking at this as a hobby project:

You probably should join

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mlhorology

and ask for advice. With care you should be able to not only clean the beast but get it put back together and running. In the process you will acquire some new tools and skills.

Then, you may be the first one here to produce a steam powered clock. th_wav

Alan

Alan,

Great idea....had a total brain fade on that...and I'm a member!

Dave

I'm just cringing at the various tortures suggested to ruin what is probably a perfectly good clock!

A clock from the 1900's or 1920's isn't so easy to find anymore.

If ya don't want the darn thing then please don't destroy it, send it to me! I love restoring old clocks.

Sorry for the rant but.......

Pete

Back