How can I find a good home for my father's steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardnewell

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My late father spent many happy hours over the years working on a model steam engine. Unfortunately, I have not inherited his skills and it's fallen to me to find a good home for his work.
I've uploaded some photos of the engine together with some wheels that he was also making to my Flickr account Engine and wheels
I'm really at a loss to know how best to find a home for this. I have no idea what the value is, and in any case, I'd rather it went to someone who could appreciate the amount of effort that has gone into it so far. As you can see form the photos, there is some surface rust present, but apart from that I believe it to be in a reasonable state.
eBay doesn't really seem appropriate, so does anyone have any suggestions about how I can find it a good home?

Engine_0001.jpg
Many thanks

Richard

I would contact Home Model Engineering Clearing House forum.
Many are experts in model railway locomotives and reading commewnts, you will be given lots of help

Best Wishes

Norman

Looks great

Dave

Hi everyone,
My late father spent many happy hours over the years working on a model steam engine. Unfortunately, I have not inherited his skills and it's fallen to me to find a good home for his work.
I've uploaded some photos of the engine together with some wheels that he was also making to my Flickr account Engine and wheels
I'm really at a loss to know how best to find a home for this. I have no idea what the value is, and in any case, I'd rather it went to someone who could appreciate the amount of effort that has gone into it so far. As you can see form the photos, there is some surface rust present, but apart from that I believe it to be in a reasonable state.
eBay doesn't really seem appropriate, so does anyone have any suggestions about how I can find it a good home?

View attachment 121995Many thanks

Richard

Golden Gate Live Steamers
I am a member and also a BAEM member.
If you want it finished and actually used on a track I think there are several active
builders at GGLS.

Where abouts are you located, and do you know what gauge it is, and overall length? It's a lovely looking machine! Nice work by your father.

I learned something today. If you put your cursor on the OP's location and click it, it will bring up maps and you'll find he is in England.

lg
no neat sig line

Hi mate

Firstly, I am sorry for your loss.

I'm not sure if your engine is 3.5" or 5" gauge, but complete and with a boiler certificate I would expect it to be several thousand pounds worth. Proportionally less if not complete, and not certificated. If you do a bit of googling of "2-8-2 live steam locomotive" you may be able to find out what it is - it will have a name. The numbers refer to the wheel configuration. There are dealers you can find online who trade in this kind of thing, or I imagine your Dad will have belonged to a model engineering club (with a track!) in order to run his engine - there will be a club secretary who I imagine will be happy to advise you.
Hope that's useful
Mark, Manchester UK

Edit - looking at your photo album, 3.5" gauge. The wheels are for a big model traction engine - again, they're worth real money so you might think about whether your Dad would want you to make the best return on something he must have put a lot of time into.

Last edited:
I was raised in Newport.... The club there was very helpful when I had to off-load a 5" gauge Victorian scale model of a railway coal truck - back in the 1970s. They took it for free.
On ebay, you'll get money quickly if you have to for Probate. But maybe advertising in a Railway magazine is better? e.g. Steam, or Steam Railway
or another one?
K2

What scale is your engine? Is that the type engine that fits a 7½" track that pull railroad cars that people ride on at parks? There is a very big steam locomotive club in Columbia TN in Murry country 1000s of people bring there steam engines and give free ride 2 times a year on about 5 miles of railroad tracks. You won't have any trouble selling it to those people, they can probably tell you want it is worth. If you have a smaller scale like 4" track engine there are people that have their entire yard covered in tracks. I lost interest years ago sold all my unfinished steam engine stuff on Ebay at a very good price. You can sell anything on ebay first look for steam engines other people are selling to learn what they sell for then contact sellers talk to them about the engine you have to sell.

Do google search for, Live Steam Locomotives. YOU need to know what you have before you can sell it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Live-steam-locomotive/153765538912?hash=item23cd23ec60:g:euwAAOSwq2Nd-qAz
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Live-Steam...629?hash=item25dc06ee0d:g:eek:9QAAOSw0YlZdB5w
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCUCRAFT-...064727&hash=item1f1c8cfb1c:g:1EMAAOSwbz9e4O6~
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Accucraft-...241433?hash=item5b8722fe59:g:qfUAAOSw0CdgDvHf
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KM1-Live-S...605242?hash=item28a4aeb67a:g:8poAAOSwOfBZv9Ai
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Accucraft-...4dc0a91d34e2529ebade|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Accucraft-...264357?hash=item420183ebe5:g:kqQAAOSw3alc5Zin

Last edited:
I know it's probably cumbersome to keep and maybe the sale would be extremely useful for much needed funds, but I'm going to go against the flow here and say that I think that is exactly the sort of thing that should be cherished and on show in a nice display case, and passed onto the grand-kids/great grand kids when the time is right.

Clearly a massive amount of time, effort and care was spent in building it, and it is a real testament to the passion and character of your dad. I'd say if you didn't really need the funds from selling it, this would be a beautiful reminder of your dads ingenuity, care, and passion.

Just my 2c!

I know it's probably cumbersome to keep and maybe the sale would be extremely useful for much needed funds, but I'm going to go against the flow here and say that I think that is exactly the sort of thing that should be cherished and on show in a nice display case, and passed onto the grand-kids/great grand kids when the time is right.

Clearly a massive amount of time, effort and care was spent in building it, and it is a real testament to the passion and character of your dad. I'd say if you didn't really need the funds from selling it, this would be a beautiful reminder of your dads ingenuity, care, and passion.

Just my 2c!

When my grandparents died I saved & cherished a lot of there stuff. It brings good memories & good feelings. When my parents died I saved & cherished a lot of there stuff too. All that stuff brings very good memories & good feelings. 5 years later STUFF is starting to get in the way but it still brings good feelings. 10 years later STUFF is becoming irritation it is always in the way. 20 years later I realize I don't need STUFF to have good memories and good feelings all that stuff is just a reminder of forgotten memories, pictures make good memories too and take up less floor space. 20 years later some of that stuff doubled in value and some is worth 50% less. I need the floor space more than STUFF so I sold it all on Ebay. I still have all the good memories & good feelings without that STUFF.

Last edited:
Not trying to dissuade you from selling it, but please think about this and what a few members posted. My father passed away in 2006 and left me with three things. A 3' long sailboat he carved from a solid block of wood while in the Boy Scouts, his flight manual and tech book on the P-47 Thunderbolt he flew during WW II, and a tabletop brass steam engine that needed a good polishing. Being active duty at the time of his death I had to return from Japan for his funeral then leave the next day to return. The sailboat and manuals had been placed in a large box in storage, but the steam engine was in its own box wrapped in oiled paper. Upon return stateside, I found they had cleaned out every single tool he had ( they kept the power tools ), loaded them in his utility trailer, and hauled it all off to the dump along with the steam engine. Never saw it again! Our children, grown up now, asked where it went and wished I had it. My daughter has the sail boat and is about to get the P-47 manuals, place them in frames and some desiccant to hang on the wall next to a shadow box of his 1st lieutenant bars and a few military ribbons/awards and wings, and the three very old glass syringes he first used when becoming a diabetic taking insulin each day. All of this leads to one thing. MEMORIES! That is something I personally feel we should share with our family and children to help remember our ancestors. But if you do sell or donate it, maybe put a small brass plaque on the front with his name and date (from-to). I'm 63 now, and wish I had been able to stay a few extra days after dad's passing to gather additional "memories." Please let us know what becomes of the locomotive.

Not trying to dissuade you from selling it, but please think about this and what a few members posted. My father passed away in 2006 and left me with three things. A 3' long sailboat he carved from a solid block of wood while in the Boy Scouts, his flight manual and tech book on the P-47 Thunderbolt he flew during WW II, and a tabletop brass steam engine that needed a good polishing. Being active duty at the time of his death I had to return from Japan for his funeral then leave the next day to return. The sailboat and manuals had been placed in a large box in storage, but the steam engine was in its own box wrapped in oiled paper. Upon return stateside, I found they had cleaned out every single tool he had ( they kept the power tools ), loaded them in his utility trailer, and hauled it all off to the dump along with the steam engine. Never saw it again! Our children, grown up now, asked where it went and wished I had it. My daughter has the sail boat and is about to get the P-47 manuals, place them in frames and some desiccant to hang on the wall next to a shadow box of his 1st lieutenant bars and a few military ribbons/awards and wings, and the three very old glass syringes he first used when becoming a diabetic taking insulin each day. All of this leads to one thing. MEMORIES! That is something I personally feel we should share with our family and children to help remember our ancestors. But if you do sell or donate it, maybe put a small brass plaque on the front with his name and date (from-to). I'm 63 now, and wish I had been able to stay a few extra days after dad's passing to gather additional "memories." Please let us know what becomes of the locomotive.
What a shame or disgrace that someone's labour of love to go that way. I think that Richard would find that all model engineers or at least most of them are people with decent values and respectful of others accomplishments. I trust his engine will find a good home. (btw i like the baker valve gear.)

Find it a good home with a club or individual that knows how to care for it and value it for what it represents. These are works of art and NOT a dime a dozen. There is a great Model steam engine club in Cardiff, I have been there. At least one of the members has been active on this site - hopefully, he will see your notice and contact you.

It might fetch 200-800 €, sometimes a bit more depending.
Any end user buyer probably wants if for the actual historical presence .. it´s not a mechanical tool.

Higher prices may exist, but these are from people alive able to defend their designs and the safety and engineering behind the stuff.

Sure, someone skilled may buy it at 800 and sell it at 2800 a year later with various safety tests done and in a running polished condition.
Since You don´t seem to be one of those people, pick whatever route seems best, I think.

Latest posts

Back