Hossack Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DICKEYBIRD

Reaction score
OK, who's gonna be the first to build one of these?

Great website with the fascinating story about Mr. Hossack and his clever thinking. http://www.hossack-design.co.uk/

Hossack Engine.jpg

Interesting idea - Large friction/sealing surface, Rectangular cross section of the cylinder. Tons of sealing surface. And under ignition and compression the cylinder tries to become a cylinder thus making it even harder to seal.

There is one big reason why cylindrical cylinders are used for most engines. (high strength and light weight...)

thats interesting but my skill level is not there yet. but if it were i would give it a go.

The piston has very little load surface at point of contact. In my opinion it would wear out very quickly.

You're right .
it's just that when i watched youtube about engines, youtube recommended videos by interest, i watched and searched for info... about it
It's interesting, maybe one day I'll try it

Hey Than, don’t underestimate yourself mate. Look at the little Diesel. You built that from scratch using your own design, and it worked!! Even if you build the Hassock and it doesn’t run at first. I’m sure that your determination will help get you through!! Oh btw wishing you and your family a great new year’s celebration. Here’s to 2022 being alot better than 21😃

Back