Horizontal Mill Engine From Kit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mklotz said:
Another Xmas dinner on the patio is a definite possibility.

Wow that would be nice..... far too hot for that here..... ::)

mklotz said:
Pennsylvania weather drove me to California.

Pennsylvania? Bah, those southern guys have it easy. It hasn't made it above 20 in the past three days here, and it's supposed to get cold tonight. We might not make it out of the low teens tomorrow.

Well it’s done. It runs. Looks decent enough but I think the quality of workmanship (dare I say, craftsmanship?) needs much improvement. But considering what I knew when I started…I’m pretty happy. Yep. Pretty happy.

My regular ‘happy dance’ tune was pre-empted. And I ran out of time trying to remember another (has it been so long?)…so the vid ends with a tune that I’m sure many of you will relate to…that is…you older folks…like me.

This started July 19. It’s not just the fourth engine I’ve built…it’s the fourth anything I’ve machined. And for me…it’s the first ‘real’ engine. I don’t mean to take away from the other engines I’ve made…the wobbler, the rocker, or the launch engine…but this engine has features that sets it apart.

It doesn’t compare to other works of art on this forum…but for me…this was a very satisfying achievement.

What a trip. Wife came home after a year stint in Brussels, daughter #2 went away to college in TN, and daughter #1 had a daughter…making me a granddad!

And what fun! What a great forum and great bunch of people. My most humble apologies to those I don’t mention…but just off the top of my head…Vernon (who spent a lot of time talking me through things….but still owes me beer), Marv (who’s always looking over my shoulder and saying ‘uh huh uh huh’), Dean (who probably doesn’t know what a Minstrel is), kvom, foozer, shred, Chuck, Gail, Arnold!, CC, Bill, Rick (who made the forum possible), Dave, KK, MB, Tin (the only one I’ve actually met in person), Tony, Bob, Kermit, black85vette, Steve, Joe, Phil, Artie, Paolo, Rob, tel, Mike, Anthony, Jim, Wesley,…

Okay I lied…not off the top of my head…started searching through the thread…geesh!…it’s a long thread! But if you didn’t see your name…you missed it!

I know I’ve forgotten some…I’m really sorry about that….but you’re very much appreciated. Did I say Vernon? Marv? Should I forget Vernon?

Thank you all. Thank you very much. Like I said before…finding this hobby was a life saver for me. Finding this forum means you all had a part in saving this life.

Zee,
I think I wet my undies on that one. You are a crazy SOB and I luv ya bud, so from one crazy SOB to another...CONGRATS

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}

Tony

CONGRATS, ZEEP! :bow:
You, sir, are insane. :D I'm jealous. :D
This engine is just great.

What a fun thread. I can't wait for the next one.

Love that Happy Dance.
I can hardly wait until I have a runner to show off.

Congratulations on your successful build! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Beautiful engine!

Great video! Happy dance good too!

With all the experience an knowledge you gained on this build, your next one should be a snap! (Unless of course you stop to write a book on machining techniques).

How about making the next one a 2 - 3 week build?

I know you can do it Zee.

Go Zee go...Go Zee go...Every body join in! Go Zee go...

-MB

yippie.gif

099.gif

champion.gif

mgtired.gif

wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif

CONGRATULATIONS - ZEE

Best Regards
Bob

Zee:

Way to go! woohoo1

After seeing that happy dance, I presume you are going to add another hobby to this machining lark and try out for "So You Think You Can Dance" ;D ;D

Good one, looking forward to your next project

Joe

Carl,

Congrats on a great build! Thm: Thm: Thm: I love the video! I needed a good laugh. Thanks.

Thanks all. Very much appreciated.

2-3 week build? Well I was thinking of a die holder...

Right now I'm going to take a little time and adjust the lathe and mill, make some modifications, and make some tools.

I do have the next engine project in mind though. Something that will require me to try some new things. Like silver soldering and sheet-metal work. However, there's at least two people who are going to cringe...so maybe I shouldn't say.

Well I'll give a hint. Remember how the Launch Engine was the 1st in the series? And how the Horizontal Mill Engine was the 2nd in the series? Yeah...let's all cringe together. ;D

Most excellent, Dude!
Love that happy dance. Shades of Monty Python.

zeeprogrammer said:
However, there's at least two people who are going to cringe...

Whut? You gonna make sumthin outta wood?

And.. I've heard of a minstrel. I know who Jethro Tull is, and Madrigal, and everything.
;)
(I may not be a singer, but I could be a servant.)

Okay, all the goofy stuff aside, you did a fine job of learning, Zee, and you got a nice running engine out of it, too! It's a worthy accomplishment for you, and it makes a lot of us here feel good in the bargain.
Now, admire it, make a tool or two that you've been wanting, and get back to the next big thing.
Excited to see what you do next, grand-dad.

Dean

Zee; Great build thread (more like epic novel). Lots of fun, lots of learning, and lots of growth. I think this thread will inspire a lot of new builders in their projects. Great looking engine and super runner too! Looking forward to the next one.

Zee, like all the others I couldnt be happier for you. A successful conclusion and a sweet engine....

....BUT.....

After seeing the vid... YOU NEED ANOTHER PROJECT PRONTO.... cause its obvious you have far far too much time on your hands already....

Good one mate....

CONGRATULATIONS ZEE !!!

On a job very well done indeed - and yes, you may call it craftsmanship!

I loved the video ;D - and your innovative use of chopsticks!

Also, a great big thank you for sharing the journey with everyone, I'm pretty sure everybody that followed along learned something along the line! (I learned a lot)

AaHa - some toolmaking next ? - go for it! - If you are talking about some sheetmetal work, you might have to make another toolmaker's clamp as well; they are handy in pairs for that job ;D

Kind Regards, Arnold
(Who will be having one from a VSOB on ice on you tonight! - Cheers!)

Zee:
Really like your engine, good job! I enjoy reading your project posts because when you ask a question so many knowledgeable people give you answers or suggestions on how to do something. I feel like I learn from each one of your projects and your humor keeps the flow going with the jokes and songs and all.
All this keeps me wanting to get back to building little engines but I seem to have acquired about 4 old Briggs & Stratton engines and a 1928 Maytag model 92 and a Maytag Twin cylinder engine in the last 2 years and have been playing with them. I just need to get back to feeling brave enough to make some of the small parts for model engines (Miser about 1/2 done) and get back into the game.
You do good work and are a excellent communicator and I feel I have learned quite a lot---thank you.
don

Latest posts

Back