Homemade sand mixer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100model

Reaction score
Hi everyone

When I started making homemade sand it was all mixed by hand and after mixing a few batches I thought there has to be a better way! At a museum in germany I saw what I thought would work really well for me so I made a copy of it and never looked back. Have a look at the video http://youtu.be/r-fUMqtQ5L4

Thanks for posting this - I've been looking at the Steve Chastain sand muller design and getting ideas.

I like the idea of having a stationary plough and roller, while the drum rotates beneath them. I suppose it allows you to safely check the sand bond while not having to stop the motor.

Nice re-purposing of a microwave oven timer - I hadn't thought of that before, but I suppose it's not too tough to do.

Jason H.

jasonh

This design is a lot simpler than having rotating rollers and over the years many have copied this design. The microwave oven timer was installed so I can forget about it and do something else and then come back to it later on. The timer is very easy to use for other uses, I use another for charging batteries. A very useful item around the workshop.

I like it so much that I have completed 95% of it, (same size) need to finish the plows and wheel and mount a motor which brings me to a question. what size motor? I have a 110v 1/2 hp motor but would rather use a 1/4 hp motor would that be too small in your opinion? Thanks also for posting this design I think that it will be a very trouble free design. Jim

Jim,

My mixer uses a 1/4 hp motor and seems to have enough power to drive it. One thing you have watch for is the drive belt to be not to tight because if a lump of metal jams in between the plough and mixing bowl it will not burn out the motor.

Thanks for the info. I have collected all of your vids. on my computer and I sure do enjoy them and I would like to build the furnace with the zircon paint as a refractory cover over the ceramic fiber, still have not found a domestic source for the paint. I have all the ingredients with the exception of the PVA dont know its purpose maybe a binder or thickener. If I cannot find a source I might try a
ridgidizer like silica sol in its place

Back