Homemade measuring tool inner diameter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tornitore45 !

When I need to measure the bore diameter, I put the tool into the bore and I adjust the bolt 1, the number 2 will come out and come in contact with the cylinder wall, then I take it out and measure it again with my caliper
1.jpg

Interesting concept !

The reason that I went with three balls is the self centering. Two certainly makes construction simpler.

Interesting concept !

The reason that I went with three balls is the self centering. Two certainly makes construction simpler.

Agreed - - - - construction MUCH simpler.

Except with only 2 balls you're right back at the 'feel' problem.

It is so very very easy to be a small distance off of the 'exact' centerline.
That distance will result in a dia measurement error.
Generally not a problem if you're only working to +/- 0.002" (0.05mm) but if you're doing things like cylinder bores or even more so on injection pump bores
you rather should be working to tighter tolerance - - - just imo though.

So how do you measure the diameter with three contact points? You said with a caliper but a caliper will not measure over three points.

So how do you measure the diameter with three contact points? You said with a caliper but a caliper will not measure over three points.
If that question was for me - - - well - - - you just don't measure using a caliper.
At this level its micrometers only.

It is possible to measure but you need to measure more than just one measurement AND use some trigonometry so its not for everyone.

Latest posts

Back