homemade machines?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for all fast reactions!

Chris, is that grinding machine an own design?
and for what do you use it?

now I know the site von craftsmanship I can find a lot of information about things on google,
I'm always looking for projects for the future, making a own machine seems interesting.

kcmillin,

you said:
Ive made countless saw blades for use on alumoinum, wood, and brass. Homemade flycutters

how do you make sawblades?

thanks!
greetings!

Hi all,

To answer Lorenz question: Yes it is my own design based on the operating principle of a commercially available punch and die grinder. I originally used a vertical spindle (as shown in the drawing) but later made a horizontal spindle for it. It is used to sharpen lathe tools, special cutters, and to do light surface grinding. It is a Small machine but seems serve my needs.

Chris

Lorenz,
Making a saw blade is easier than you may think. Although the way I do it it quite hack. I start with a steel bar (diameter not important) I used an inch and a half. I cut a small peice off and then face both sidesd in the lathe. I then mount it on a mandrel (I also use theis to hold the blade while cutting) I face it down to the thickness I want. Then I transfer the peice to the rotary table in the mill. I make my first cuts off center to creat a rake in the tooth. Then I cut the back of the tooth off. This creates a nice saw blade looking peice of steel. I also do a crude and dirty tempering of the blade by heating it up red hot and quenching it in oil.

I have used these many times for aluminum and other softer materials. If you use water or oil hardening drill rod you can cut steel with them.

I hope this was not too confusing. I will probobly make a thread of this process if anybody wants to know how to make a saw blade the frugal mans way.

kel

Dave,
Here's a little old drill press somewhat similar to your model. I rescued this from a barn shed (purchased) and hope to make it a slow speed driver for vertical reaming and honing.

DRILL.jpg

Chris that looks great not sure if it would be as versatile as a conventional tool and cutter grinder but get yourself a small mag chuck and your set for surface grinding great work Thm:

dont they use swing grinders in the auto industry for specific jobs?

Back