Home Workshop Mill Feeds & Speeds

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are end mills here, Dave. Center cutting or non-center cutting. Not slot drills or slot mills.
Who did people in S. Africa buy light bulbs from before Edison came along, anyway?

DaveH said:
Someone once asked Edison (this is the guy all the Americans think invented the incandescent lamp)

Shred,

Aaaah, my fault I thought you meant they didn't stock them. ;D

Dave

Dean,

May be (just guessing) if they are centre cutting they are made to slot drill specifications.

Deanofid said:
Who did people in S. Africa buy light bulbs from before Edison came along, anyway?

Sir Joseph Swan

DaveH said:
Dean,
May be (just guessing) if they are centre cutting they are made to slot drill specifications.

Or maybe, like with so many things, some other country just calls center cutting end mills by a different made up name.

Sir Joseph Swan

Riiiight, as in EDIswan.

If the material and cutter's manufacture's claim of it's capability are known, it's simple.

Look it up in the Machinery's Hand Book and you'll find the perfect answer.
That answer will probably NOT work.

Don't blame the engineers who came up with that perfect answer.
If you do, you'll end up listening to a 3 hour long lecture explaining why it
SHOULD have worked.
:toilet:

Just listen to the machine.

If it sounds like your wife on a Friday evening after you've stopped off with a
few guys from work on your way home at a local pub to discuss the week,
back off a little.

If it sounds like your wife on a walk through the shopping mall on a Sunday
afternoon when you'd much rather be in the shop, step it up a bit. ;)

Rick

This is a chart I drew up years ago. It gets me in the right ball park. It's not meant to be definitive, for example roughing milling cutters can be pushed a lot more, but for my machines, it gets me started.

Ian

Cuttingspeeds.jpg

I was told by Brian Barker that speeds and feeds should be used as published or calculated.
Brian is the president of artsoft ( Mach 3)and has boocoo machining experience w cnc.
Ricks comments on the other thread of the metal talking to you ,crying for more or back off is also spot on from an experienced hand.
the difference between home machines and for money machines is
1) the cutter or tooling some of the industrial stuff is designed for high power high speed machines.
2) the machines home machines just do not have the power,190 - 500 watts instead of 5 HP( 3.7KW )
3) most home machines do not run flood coolant.
4)We are not concerned a lot of output and time not trying to make two widgets a minute.
so what is the main difference between home and industry? depth of cut, how much material can you take in one pass.
The basics are foundational. use a sold safe setup and go from there.
Tin

What Tin and Rick Said!...

There is no substitute for mass and rigidity...It really makes a HUGH difference.

Dave

steamer said:
There is no substitute for mass and rigidity...It really makes a HUGH difference.

Dave

I think I'll leave this one alone ::)

You won't get it massive and rigid by leaving it alone.

tel,

Never heard of a "Thoughty." ???

Maryak said:
I think I'll leave this one alone ::)

tel said:
You won't get it massive and rigid by leaving it alone.

Ahhhh.....put a man on an island, and he's got one thing on his mind... ;D

Back