Home made castings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourstroke

Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi
Here are some pictures of the patterns and castings for my latest project

Its going to be a twin cylinder, open crank marine type. Bore and stoke is
32 x 40mm

The head casting is in brass but the finish isnt as good as I would like so I will probably fabricate the final one for the engine

Dougie

PICT2910.jpg

PICT2911.jpg

PICT2912.jpg

PICT2913.jpg

PICT2914.jpg

PICT2916.jpg

PICT2917.jpg

PICT2918.jpg

PICT2919.jpg

Your castings look pretty good to me Dougie , if you really want a nice brass or gun-metal head casting I can make one for you , just PM me for details.
Dan.

Thanks for the offer Dan but the main problem is with the pattern

If you look at the drawing in one of the pics I posted you can see the head was designed with five holding down bolts. Somehow, when I was making the pattern that morphed into six bosses, that meant that one of the head bolts was directly over the exhaust port
On its own this wouldnt have been a big problem but I plan to hollow the head to allow for water cooling and the soldering of stud tubes and exhaust tube just got too complicated

I tried to think of ways to alter the casting, thats what the black marker dots on the head pattern are in the pictures, but this and the finish made me decide to fabricate.

I would appreciate any advice you can give me on the casting of brass or bronze, I cant get a decent finish

Thankyou for the reply

Dougie

Back