Home built pistol

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deadin said:
This is a set of plans I have come close to buying, but then I would have to buy a bigger lathe and mill. ;D
(and I probably couldn't afford the brass.... :eek:

These are perfectly legal in the U.S. as they do not depend on the energy of the fired cartridge to cycle. They are hand cranked. Put a motor on it and go to prison.......

http://www.modelgatlinggunplans.com/#
One of my very long-term projects is a .22 Gatling. It's maybe 30% done and it's been a couple years...

shred,
Are you using the plans I linked to?
If so, what would you consider the smallest lathe and mill they would require?

Dean

radfordc said:
That one turned out so well I decided to try something a bit more challenging...a .45 Long Colt pistol. Here is a drawing of the pistol.

Is that an adaptation of Frank de Haas' "Chicopee" rifle? That looks cool.

Edit!!! I should have read the rest of the thread. I like de Haas' designs. Want to try one someday. Something in 22 Hornet.

Got the action silver brazed together. Also, finished chambering the barrel, cut the extractor notch, and made the extractor.

action1.jpg

action2.jpg

action3.jpg

another nice project. Would love to make something like this but our draconian laws forbid it. Not that it has stopped driveby shootings violent gun crimes etc but you know that.
I will keep watching this build ;D Re the .22 gatling I did think about buying the plans but ...well you know :mad:
Pete

G'Day Gentlemen,
I am new to this site and have found it to be an excellent source of information not to mention being very entertaining. However, is the manufacture of guns really something we want to promote? I know you Americans have this foolish "Right To Bear Arms" thing happening but lets stick to building engines and playing in our workshops making worthwhile stuff.
Regards
Dave Tointon

Hi Dave,
I believe the moderator covered this a few posts back.
Enough said!!

Sorry I missed that post, just that I have had a couple of work collegues killed by home made guns and would rather that building techniques are not distributed freely
Regards
Dave Tointon

davet55 said:
G'Day Gentlemen,
I am new to this site and have found it to be an excellent source of information not to mention being very entertaining. However, is the manufacture of guns really something we want to promote? I know you Americans have this foolish "Right To Bear Arms" thing happening but lets stick to building engines and playing in our workshops making worthwhile stuff.
Regards
Dave Tointon

Foolish? It's what has made our Country great. :mad:

Dave Tointon,

Your characterization of someone else's legal system as "foolish" inflamed me to the point where I mistakenly deleted this entire thread lest we have to endure another of the gun controversies that make so many fora unpleasant. I've restored it but I will delete it again unless the bickering ends immediately.

You are not in charge of what is appropriate or inappropriate on this forum. That's the job for the moderators. If you have issues with that, take it up with me via PM.

Love the photos of the cannons, when I feel confident enough am gonna have to tackle a build of one. They just have that "Art Work" appeal to em.

I do have a concealed carry permit, can hear the bride now, "Is that a cannon in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Robert

I grew up with guns. First BB guns, then 22's, then a shotgun and others. My father and uncle were hunters, pheasant, rabbits, ducks and such so I was taught proper firearm use and safety. I lived in a somewhat rural community and all of my friends enjoyed target shooting, plinking and hunting.
I have always thought that a lot of firearms had a great beauty to them, from hand engraving to ivory and gold inlays.
I am a modeler and miniature builder as everyone on this forum knows. Along with my engines and other pieces I have built a few arms, one I posted earlier, an Army .44 cap and ball pistol.
I have a friend who got into model cannon building. After building about 6 different types he stopped. I asked why and he said that he had built most of the interesting looking ones and didn't know what else to build.
I told him that I had seen pictures of the half sized Gatling gun so why didn't he build something like that, as a model not an operating type.
There were no plans available at that time so with the luxury of having a large city library (Cleveland, Ohio) with all of the U.S. patent files we spent a day going through the patent drawings and library books gathering information and making photocopies of the material.
With a stack of information I started making a set of drawings. This was long before I even knew about CAD so the originals were all hand drawn. With the drawings complete we started building two of them, one for me and one for him.
This is a non firing but operating miniature of the real thing. The metal work is brass and stainless and the wood is Black Walnut.
I present to you 4 pictures of my model.
gbritnell

gatling gun a.jpg

gatling gun b.jpg

gatling gun c.jpg

gatling gun d.jpg

Later when I learned CAD I redrew the drawings, not that the hand drawn ones weren't good but the CAD ones had a professional look to them.
At the NAMES show Sherline tools used to have a contest for building miniatures. I had submitted several engines at different shows and the one year I thought it was time for something a little different so I made a very small copy of my bigger Gatling gun. The same materials were used but as you can see by the dime in front it's much smaller.
George

gatling gun small 1.jpg

gatling gun small 2.jpg

Amazing work as usual, George. (Like everyone else, I'm running out of superlatives.)

I seem to remember another fantastic firearm model of yours that you presented over on HSM - a Mannlicher as I remember. (As a kid I had the Best Plastics working model of the Winchester and always wanted to have the others. It even occurred to me to use the plastic model to make a metal replica but I didn't have the skills - then or now.)

Perhaps you would care to show your models of the Mannlicher and the Winchester here? I'm sure most of the members would appreciate seeing such fine examples of workmanship.

Gentlemen,
It seems that I have said the wrong thing here. To all the members of this forum I sincerely apologize for any offence caused and in future I shall refrain from any political comment. By the way Radford and Chaffe, your posts were very funny. I hope we all got a laugh out of it anyway.
Regards
Dave Tointon
:-[ :-[ :-[

Thanks for the kind words Marv,
Having hijacked this thread enough I started another in the 'break room' titled 'mannlicher'.
George

George,

Please educate me....................What's plinking ???

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back