Holly Buddy Build Register

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edholly

Sydney Australia
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I know there have been quite a few Holly Buddy's made and thought it would be great to have a register of them and those engines based around it.

As it was HMEM where I first wrote up the build of the prototype, would be good to have a listing of completed builds here. Maybe a few photos and a brief description and a number for it accounting for those written up prior.

So I'll start with the ones I have made.

Couple of things I'd like to mention.

Firstly the name Holly Buddy is a nod to the Owen Mate by David Owen whom I have the utmost respect for and who helped me immensely in the early days. RIP David.

Secondly thanks again to Steve Jenkinson who did the CAD plans for it - and many little tweeks to make sure it was as unambiguous as possible.

Thirdly thanks to Outerzone for hosting the plans, not only for the Holly Buddy but a whole host of model engines.

Fouth, thanks to Maris Dislers who tested the engine and wrote and article that was published in our wonderful Aeromodeller Magazine.

Finally here is the .pdf file that started it all.

Ed

Attachments

• Holly-Buddy-25-diesel-Plans.pdf
    616.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
1. The prototype. The first one built.

Attachments

• IMG_3065.JPG
    IMG_3065.JPG
    376 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3060.JPG
    IMG_3060.JPG
    541.3 KB · Views: 5
2. The Mk2 version. Made using a pattern and then a casting which I had hoped to be able to supply at reasonable cost, but it turned out to be rather more expensive than I had hoped.

Attachments

• IMG_9261.JPG
    IMG_9261.JPG
    450.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9259.JPG
    IMG_9259.JPG
    528 KB · Views: 4
3. An inline twin version, basically 2 Holly Buddy's joined together - the crankshaft feeds the 2 crankcase cavities though inlet ports in the crankshaft 180 degrees apart.

Attachments

• IMG_2208.JPG
    IMG_2208.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot (623).png
    Screenshot (623).png
    637.6 KB · Views: 6
4. Holly Buddy Opposed Twin. This one is 2 Holly Buddy's opposite each other. It cheats a bit and uses the cheeks of the intermediary bearing as much as it uses the bearing itself. Figured no worse than running an engine as a pusher where the prop driver runs against the crankcase in a plain bearing motor. Has worked out fine. The static photo is as it is now with the inlet vertical.

Attachments

• IMG_8049.JPG
    IMG_8049.JPG
    495.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8090.JPG
    IMG_8090.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 5
5. Holly Buddy Mk 3 ... Wanting to make it look a little prettier - uses screw threads to attach nose, backplate cylinder and muff. Screws at the rear also hold it from turning. Looks totally different but it is the same inetrnals - just different clothes !

Attachments

• IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1871.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 6
  • sdaassf.JPG
    sdaassf.JPG
    361.5 KB · Views: 5
Back