Holding down straps

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google searches for machine tools and accessories can sometimes be tough. And can be tied to your search words in a particular way so any search returns reflect that. I'd try putting your tee slot size in, then add hold down kit or clamping kit.

Teco in the U.S. (which you certainly won't want to pay what they want) list there small to tiny clamping kits by either metric or imperial tee slot sizes. But if you've already got most of the correct studs, coupling nuts, tee bolts and tee nuts to fit whatever tee slots you already have and just want the step blocks and stepped strap clamps, it might be a whole lot easier to make your own. There for holding parts or accessories down, and in a home shop, milled and unhardened blocks & straps should work quite fine. I've got a couple of the Teco sets for my largest mill, and quality wise were worth what they cost. The much cheaper 12 mm off shore set I bought to fit my lathes cross slide tee slots I can't say the same. The metal if heat treated at all must be to the DIN standard of air hardened bubble gum. And almost all male threads due to there softness suffered some kind of damage at some point and had to be chased with the correct metric die.

There's also numerous YouTube videos showing milling vise held aluminum sub plates drilled and tapped for use while clamping down small and hard to hold parts on larger mills. In general the builders just use various lengths of industrial grade and properly hardened Allan bolts. I've seen some add shop made comparable sized step blocks and clamp straps as well. Just chose your bolt thread size that clears the upper part of the tee slots and machine the rest to fit.

Back