Hoglett - Model Engine Builder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadecy

Reaction score
Here is my current main (long term) project. I don't get a lot of time in the shop but here is what I have to far. Some parts shown aren't totally finished and the cylinder with fins is one I'm not using. I'm still learning the art of making properly spaced fins and making the tools to cut them.

I am making 3.

146_4613.jpg

146_4614.jpg

146_4615.jpg

146_4616.jpg

Jadecy,

Nice bit of work you are doing there. I am the same way about things, it is just as easy to make more than one when the machine is set up.

The way I do my finning is grind up the tool, same shape as a parting off tool, to the correct spacing for the fins, touch on the end using your compound slide, lock up the saddle, then just forward the same amount each time using the compound dial. This is ok if the movement on your compound is sufficient for the length of the part to be made. You also have to make sure the compound slide is totally square to the job.

Cylinderbore.jpg

John

Are you guys using a indicator on your carriage to dial over? If you have a .125 tool set up where you want your first fin to live and cut it, then just dial over .250" cut another fin and then move over another .250". Pretty soon you'll have them all cut and they will be the same width. On smaller machines you need an especially good setup to cut fins. Make sure your gibs are snugged up. Make sure you use a center in the end of the cylinder. In my experience most people tend to run a parting tool to slow. Using HSS your chips should be ever so slightly gold colored. Use a good cutting oil.

Hope some of this helps, Wes

I have two issues to resolve to get good fins. 1) grind the correct width tool. 2) my 9x20 lathe clutch keeps kicking in when I have the correct speed set So I tried a higher speed which I know is totally wrong for cast iron.

I ground the new tool and I may be upgrading my lathe soon. I was trying to cut the grooves with a thinner parting tool with 2 cuts for each groove. That didn't work well at all.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely use it on my next try at fins. :)

Those two of mine are cast iron, and what is the correct speed for cast iron when the peripheral speed is changing as you cut in?.
I do all my grooving by feel and rather excessive speeds, normally parting is just a matter of putting on the auto crossfeed.
With cast iron, no cutting fluid, it is self lubricating and should cut like butter.

Back