Hoglet started (and running!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Michael!

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

"Not yet but I'm going to try to blast it off the neighbors curb if Pedro will let me. This afternoon Dad's going to teach me how to do some gnarly burnouts"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHhzKP7cZ6c[/ame]

Kevin,

Looks like fun.

What a great build.

Have you been to the local biker bar yet?

SAM

Thanks Sam, bikers? those guys are trouble! The build pics for that one are here;

http://picasaweb.google.com/kustomkb/Blackthunder#

I'm going to try for a standard style of centrifugal clutch. I'm no physics expert so
I guess I'll have to experiment with springs and shoe weights. Any tips?

Would phenolic be any good for the traction liners?

Here is what I've drawn up;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3aqyvkOUB0[/ame]

And what it might look like on the bike;

hglt%20model.jpg

Thanks in advance for the advice.

This was posted on my you tube page. I was wondering if one of our Russian brothers could help me out.

I ran it through three on line translators and am still unsure of the question. Is it "how long will the engine last?"

Thanks.

пока заведешь весь ресурс двигателя кончится

Kevin,

Isn't it a little hard to do a happy dance soooo loooow to the ground? :big:

Philly

KustomKB said:
This was posted on my you tube page. I was wondering if one of our Russian brothers could help me out.

I ran it through three on line translators and am still unsure of the question. Is it "how long will the engine last?"

Thanks.

Galina is asleep right now but I think it's "From now, how long before all the motor is finished." I will speak to the oracle and if it's different I will advise.

Taking each word....For the present.....Establishment.....All..... Resource.....Motor...........to finish.

Best Regards
Bob

Hey Phil,

I'm sure I'll work something out. Probably involve some stretching before hand. ;D

Thanks Bob! Much appreciated. Will respond accordingly.

Kevin,

The oracle has woken up and advises that it is a smart ass comment to the effect that you will have exhausted all your resources just getting it started.

Galina suggests the following response:

Зависть - двигатель прогресса. Твой ресурс без конца.

Envy - is an engine of progress. Your resources are without finish.

без конца has a double meaning i.e without finish or in slang without penis.

Best Regards
Bob

Oh thank ye wise Oracle!

I don't usually engage the wise crackers, but he should know that I have a worldwide team of advisers and consultants. And that it's not that easy to get one by us.

Obviously I could have edited the video down, but that was all part of the battle on its maiden voyage.

My next video won't be so easy to poke a jab at... in 2015

Ha, Ha!! Oh man I laughed out loud at that one!

Consider it copied and pasted.

Thanks again Galina and Bob!

I downloaded a sprocket model from SDP-SI and machined it from aluminum to try out a 6:1 gear ratio. If I'm happy with it, I'll probably make another from stainless. I didn't have my camera with me but this is what I ended up with;

hoglet%20651.jpg

Well that ain't gonna work. You see, there's your problem. Another case of building something without thinking it through.

This thing is just getting more and more cluttered as I bodge it along. I don't want to build a new frame and it's starting to look like a dragster. I stretched it out to make room for the ignition, in the oil bag. I like the kick start and had considered an electric start with a planetary drive from a cordless drill... I'm going to need a series of jack shafts, chain tensioners and idler sprockets to make a "standard" centrifugal clutch work. That just won't look pretty. I'm trying to keep it simple, and all I want is for the rear wheel to spin at RPM and stop at idle.

I think I might try the integral clutch hub design again. I've got so many projects I want to get on to, but I just can't put this sucker to bed... Maybe I'll distract myself by finishing the tank and making a new seat and fender.

hoglet%20654.jpg

Here are the components for the clutch. I'm thinking of bonding some Tyvar or hardwood shoes to the clutch weights. With the spring that is on there now it engages at 1400 RPM.

hoglet%20662.jpg

hoglet%20664.jpg

hoglet%20675.jpg

hoglet%20674.jpg

hoglet%20673.jpg

Here is a picture that I took of my Son on the bike that my brother fancied up;

Jonah%20Biker%208x10%20v2.jpg

He and our old home have kept us really busy so shop time is at a premium. Please excuse the lack of progress pics.

All the best!

HO HO HO.
Kevin. been some time. I have to say that's a nice clutch you come up with, nice finish and nice crisp pic.
and the little biker, oh I like that, remember me of my son on his first ride on his mini-chopper.
best
CS.

Thanks a lot CS, Like speedy said;
I guess you have no argument when he grows up wanting a bike

I'm sure that will ring true. I remember being on the back of my Dad's bike saying "can this thing do wheelies?"... It did.

Thanks Phil!

I just got the old post warning, sad...

I just found an old video on my computer of some g-code generated for the machining of the front wheel.

Yes, the camera man has since been fired.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHcK7fVw1eY[/ame]

Well after building the Mrs. some kitchen cabinets, gutting the basement and manually excavating and waterproofing the foundation wall, I figured I deserved a little hobby time.

My TIG welding seems so slow to improve so I said to heck with it and made a start on the tank.

First horrific pass with the torch and a quick rub up against the disk sander;

Hoglet%2520Tank%2520001.jpg

Hoglet%2520Tank%2520002.jpg

Hoglet%2520Tank%2520005.jpg

After sanding some more, exposing many pin holes cracks, I made another pass with the torch and filler.
Then I gave it some die-grinder action with the abrasive discs;

Hoglet%2520Tank%2520007.jpg

Hoglet%2520Tank%2520008.jpg

Hoglet%2520Tank%2520009.jpg

I figured I would weld the sides before dimpling the filler hole to add a little strength to avoid warp-age.
I formed the recess for the bung with the tooling in an arbor press;

Hoglet%2520Tank%2520011.jpg

We'll see how the rest goes, if I am not happy there is always paint and Bondo...
I don't expect this tank to be air-tight so I have some aircraft fuel tank sealer I think I can cut with MEK to slosh around the inside.

Latest posts

Back