Hoglet started (and running!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kustomkb

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I started the hoglet engine. If all goes well I might try to build a bike around it. 9 pieces down a hundred more to go.
I will try to take progress pics for the rest.

1_hoglet_101.jpg

1_hoglet_100.jpg

I'm really intrigued by these "hoglets". Where does one get the plans?

Best,

BW

Plans and build article were in Model engine Builder Mag (issue 10 & 11), you should be able to get back issues OK from them. I'm thinking of giving this one a go as a side project for when I get fed up with the platework on my Traction Engine, rather be turning & milling ;)

http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/default.htm

Jason

I love that engine. Gonna build one myself one day. I have a love affair for twin engines. Either 'V' or parallel.

Eric

Looking good brass_machine. I've made some progress on mine - the cylinder heads, valve guides, rocker arms, etc. and will post some pictures in my previous thread from a few weeks ago when I get a chance.

M.

Jasonb said:
Plans and build article were in Model engine Builder Mag (issue 10 & 11), you should be able to get back issues OK from them. I'm thinking of giving this one a go as a side project for when I get fed up with the platework on my Traction Engine, rather be turning & milling ;)

http://www.modelenginebuilder.com/default.htm

Jason

Well that was easy. You can subscribe and purchase back issues online.

Thanks!

BW

BobWarfield said:
Well that was easy. You can subscribe and purchase back issues online.

Thanks!

BW

I ordered the whole back issue set. Took a while to get them all. Also subscribed. The first issue should be showing up this week or next, I hope :p They're a bit slow with the publication but well worth it. I hope they last longer than Strictly I.C. did.

Bernd

Did the turning for the 2 piston's today. I agree the magazine is great. The seperate drawings you get are really nice. The Hoglet article does not mention the ignition electrics or tuning. This is my first IC and am very excited to get it to run but I I don't know how you guys run these. Is there a battery in the base which is supplying the coil? And the Hall Effect signals the timing? Model Engine Builder has an article about the Vietti magneto, do you think a guy could set one up on this?

Shop tip- To drill hole depth's accurately on the lathe with a DRO and DTI. I touch the drill off the face of the job with a gage block (1"). Then bring the dial to zero with the stylus on the face of the drill chuck, and zero the Z axis. Then move the longnitudinal feed over the desired depth plus the 1 inch gage block (or whatever) then drill 'till the chuck touches the stylus and brings the dial back to zero and you are there.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7844356557441163961&hl=en-CA&hl=en

hoglet_piston_op1_50%25~0.JPG

Man you work fast! :eek: I could barely keep up:) I really like this engine. I ordered the back issues last week. Any idea how long it will take to show up? I hope this will be one of my future projects. I recently put together a hall effect ignition. If I can help in anyway I will be glad to. Send me a PM and I'll show you what I have. I should have all the components to put another one together. The only thing is I am using a cheap ignition coil. It is kind of large but could be hidden.
Tim

Here is a pic of Randal Cox's engine linked up to the ignition system.

http://www.pbase.com/captain_carl/image/67722872

The box contains the battery and fuel tank, the three twisted wires coning from the cam area are the hall effect sensor wires, the coil is in the black cylinder above the kick start.

Jason

zeusrekning said:
I ordered the back issues last week. Any idea how long it will take to show up?

Tim

Tim,

It took a while to get then all. They didn't send all the issues at once. IIRC it took several weeks to get all the issues. I believe they have to print them up, I don't think they have issues ready to ship out right away.

Bernd

I haven't seen the article yet. Was the original done with CNC or manual machining?

Just curious,

BW

The article and drawings describe fixtures for manual machining.

kustomkb said:
Sorry about the messy videos, What am I doing wrong?

The lapse-frame video is great. It cuts to the chase and is satisfying to watch.

So I am a CNC newb... loved the video. But what is that thing you put on top of the part between tool changes??

Eric

I'll answer Brass, that's a Z-axis height setter. He drops his cutter down until it registers on the dial and then he knows exactly how far he is from the work. Very handy. That one shown is a particularly nice one. The cheapies work good too:

ZAxisPresetter.jpg

I got that one from the infamous 800watt on eBay for $29. I did an article on various ways of setting Z-axis on a mill and this was by far the most accurate--much more accurate than a paper touch off, for example.

Here was the article if interested:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMillTipsTechniques.htm

These are useful not just for CNC, but they're especially critical for CNC between tool changes. The alternative is to measure and record your tool heights if you have a tool holding system that is repeatable. R8 is not.

Cheers,

BW

Hi kustomkb

Now that you have machined the one side of the connecting rod, what is the procedure for finishing off the other side? How do you hold the rod to finish it?

Great job by the way. Keep up the good work.

Regards
Willy

Thanks, I will have to make a nest, (negative form. like a mold) machined into some soft jaws. Then repeat a couple of the opperations, same as the first side. It will be awhile before I can get more progress made... :-[

Latest posts

Back