Hoglet started (and running!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked over your thread from start to the point your at right now,
I just kept on saying as I was skimming through your build,

"WOW, that is some REALLY NICE work..."

I just kept on repeating that as I was taking the tour.

Excellent craftsmanship...

Wow, thanks a lot fellows, much appretiated.

Hopefully the next installment won't take as long...

That is some very impressive can't wait to see it with the engine in it.
Nice work :bow: :bow:

can't wait to see it with the engine in it.

Thanks Doc, Me too.

Hope to get a little work done on the tank this afternoon.

;) Sweet project!
Say all you gear heads Curantly liking this bike?
I draft plas and patternsEver though about building
A modern preforming steam bike?
Well I have.
And have some rather ruff but usable plans for it,
As well as a sick new turbine pattern.
If any one get's bored?
I will provide them for no cost to ay aptly capable builder.
I may be reached at [email protected]
Feel free to inquire! :D
PS.
I still have a spare block for the steam bike build,
And will trade it to any party wiling to machine a copy
of the cylinder and head to re-fit it as an engine.
I have wood working gear and most of the gear to builda foundry
But still have yet to purchase a metal lathe.

Thanks fire drop. There is an uploads section if you would like to share your plans. And a welcome section where you can show us some of your stuff.

I've been thinking about a centrifugal clutch to drive the rear wheel. I want to build it into the wheel so I don't have an unsightly protuberance on the side of the engine. Usually the clutch is on the drive shaft and is geared down to the final dive providing plenty of torque. If I gear it to look "normal" (small sprocket on the engine and large on the rear wheel) I'm afraid there won't be enough force to really get a grab on the clutch drum. But I guess if all I want to do is allow the engine to idle without the wheel turning and engage when the rev's come up, do you guys think this will work with a relatively weak spring? Got any ideas for the shoe material? I'm also not even sure what RPM's this thing puts out.

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWZPB-Nabyc[/ame]

Hi Kevin,
I wouldn't say that it won't work on the wheel hub, having never tried anything like that but even with a very light spring I don't think you will get the wheel rpm up fast enough to make the clutch grab very well. Here's one thing to consider. You say you don't want a big unsightly clutch hanging off of the engine but as with most motorcycle engines they have primary case on the side of the engine anyway. Why not build a simple primary cover and hide the centrifugal clutch underneath it? Even better, if it's only going to be for demonstration purposes you could build a simple single plate clutch operated by a cable from the handlebars.
gbritnell

Thanks George, I've been considering the plate clutch and looking at all the design suggestions over on "Jerry's Donkey" but am still not sure how to go about it.

The primary cover would be cool too, but I'm not sure how small a clutch I can build and still drive a #25 chain. Maybe I could squeeze a jack-shaft in between to gear it up... RC clutch with heavier shoes?

Do printers use a belt drive with timing gears?

My head is starting to hurt...

Absolutely amazing how you turned something so simple into some that beautiful

Thank you Grunwalla.

I am honored by your first post. :bow:

So I went up to Casterland to see what they had. (brought the model too, hoping a gear head might be there, keen to help me out, and to eye ball the wheel size)
I need 7 inch tires. There was a solid 9 inch I thought I could machine down, but for 50 bucks I'll keep looking. The link Paulsv supplied is promising and I happened past a walmart so I went in for the first time and there was a sweet wheel on the scooter he referenced but I had to buy the whole thing. Kendo's link looks promising too.

Any way... casterland had a $4 wheel that I thought I could use for the front. So I knocked out the flange bearings and made a mandrel to suit, along with a thrust sleeve to lock it in;

hoglet%20a%20002.jpg

Then set it up in the lathe;

hoglet%20a%20005b.jpg

The results turned out okay, and I blame KCmillin for making it look so easy, but lets just say it was a good thing I was wearing a full face respirator and coverall's, because that vacuum set-up might have caught %10;

hoglet%20a%20007b.jpg

Oh well, that lathe needed a proper cleaning/oiling any way. So while the shop was de-gassing I tried to set-up a couple of Machinist p@#n shots;

hoglet%20a%20010.jpg
hoglet%20a%20013.jpg

hoglet%20a%20014.jpg

As always, have fun!

A beautiful ride, Kevin - good p@#n. Good luck with the wheels, and cleaning the lathe!

Kevin,

Awesome job.

You can give Paul Jr of OCC a run for the money.

SAM

Kevin, this is shaping up to be one heck of a beautiful motorbike.

I don't remember using the lathe for my tires, I take no responsibility for the mess. :big: :big:

It turned out a lot better than mine, thats for sure.

What did you use to cut the tire down? I see no tool bit in the lathe. Sandpaper?

Kel

Kevin- If you haven't checked it out yet, Razor has a website where they sell parts for their scooters.

http://shop.razor.com/pages.php?pageid=1

You can click on the picture of the ride on scooters, and they do sell the wheels for each of them. Hard to tell the size, though, without going and looking at the scooters.

Thanks a lot Richard, Sam, Kel and Paulsv!!

Kel, I think I remember you sanded the treads off of your wheels, I used an angle grinder with a segmented flap wheel.

Once I realized how much mess I was making it was too late to turn back.

Thanks again for the link Paulsv, it looks like those are just under 8 inches and I probably can't remove a half inch per side.

This is for a monster RC truck and measures 6.9" we'll see how it goes...

1104-00.jpg

Thanks again!

KustomKB said:
This is for a monster RC truck and measures 6.9" we'll see how it goes...

1104-00.jpg

Kevin, do you have the name of or a link to the shop that sells that monster RC truck tyre? Ican't quite make out the logo in the photo, and something around that size may be perfect for a little thing I'm contemplating.

Hi,

back on page 10, wow, you do some tremendous pipe bending, cutting and fitting, the engine is extremely GREAT, but SO is the frame and the whole bike, you do excellent work, not to mention, the very, and I mean very good way, you document this thread with pictures, the picture sequence of your time in the shop, from one part to another, makes this the excellent learning thread that it is.

It's like watching a how to video, with the animations the actual videos, and the still pictures, and captions, all combined together to make one great learning thread.

Thanks for taking the time, I mean effort, (in a good sense) for capturing that for us all to enjoy and learn.

I for one when taking pictures of a procedure, become lazy after awhile, or forget to take a pic. of something,
but when it's a sequence of procedures I already documented, in the back of my mind, I feel like I have freedom to get down to the real business of my build, without the interference of stopping to take pictures....

That's why I highly commend you on your patience to take the amount of pics, you do.

Keep up the GREAT work...

Hi Richard, here is the link to the tire;

http://prolineracing.com/tires/road-rage-3.8-40-series-street-tires/

and your local distributor;

PERTH R/C MODELS & HOBBIES
08 9328 8986
198 STIRILING ST.
PERTH WA 6000

(P.S. right click on any picture to view properties/image location, to find the source)

Hobby, thank you very much for the compliments. I enjoy documenting the process and have fun, and receive encouragement, from sharing the results. I guess its quite a long thread but it has been over 2 1/2 years...
I've got a few new projects in mind but home renovations keep getting in the way. I'd like to get this sucker wrapped up so I can move on and pester you guys with something different. ;)

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back