Hoglet Cams

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am past half done building the Hoglet an run into problems with making the cams.
I am sorry to say but the drawing on MEB magazine are incomplete, are missing several dimension in many places. Some can be easily reconstructed with intuition and geometry but still leave doubts.

The cam flank radius is not given. There is sentence in Issue 11 text mentioning: "A flank radius of 0.4" is about max for the 0.25" diameter Lifters" So I go with that dimension but it really belong on the drawing.

There is no mention of the cam lift angle, I suppose one keeps machining the flank radius, rotating the blank until the flanks close in enough to smooth out the tip wit a small radius

Anyone that has already passed that hurdle care to chime in?

There is a cam calculator spreadsheet on the MEB members website that you could use to plug your estimates into and see how they work out before you cut metal. I used it to refine the V12 cam profiles.

Drawing does say "as described in the text" I went with the 0.4" as has just about every other builder. Dead easy to cut using the suggested method

MEB have given their website a makeover and it looks like the "Members Section" has dissappeared

Latest posts

Back