Hoglet build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just the CAD package set to 3 decimal places

Valve guides made!

IMG_1248.jpg

I stress over the smallest things! Thank you

As JasonB said, its likely the way the CAD package and/or operator shows the dimensions. But even some high end packages are still kind of buggy in this regard. For example in Solidworks you can select from a wide range of different selectable hole types, mixed units, tap, clearance, dowel... and even specify tolerances which can then be conveyed on the drawing. But when you go to make drawings from the model, it's not that smart to self annotate like #NN numbered drill or X/64". (Longstanding user request, maybe they will get to it one day). It will however spit out the true diameter and apply any specified min/max tolerance and to whatever number of decimal places you desire.

So what I do on my own drawings is show 4 sig figs so they correlated to my drill chart. And better practice is annotate a note for anything important for clarity, especially mixed SI.IMP dimension drawings - metric bearings hole in an otherwise IMP part for example where your nominal IMP reamers may not work anyway.

Nice engine BTW!

In the end you have to know what the design intent is. Making something +/- 0.0005" is unnecessary for a common bolt hole, but may be vitally important for a clearance or press fit to another part.

Measure your drill bits or you will get caught

Making valves, i've built 3 now and my last one was almost perfect. I now know how to make them i.e. Different steps of Processes/setups so they should come out how I want them/to the drawing!

CA509C18-7ACB-4A2F-994A-E22EAD1FC47B.jpg

I also looked all over for 5/32 E clips and couldn't find them anywhere!!!! Or if I did they wanted allot for them! But....... I found them at the local pep boys! They have a kit that has 25 of them plus a bunch of other sizes and ring clips for like 12 bucks.

Back