Hodgson finished

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi camm I’ve 98% finished mine just Wateing on some more ss tube for I think I need to make 4 or 5 more intake manifold but I did not let that me from a start up and like you I found it started quite easily can I ask what carby you went for ? I tryed a small ? 25 cc chain saw one got it running ok but I still need to do a lot of tuneing and sourt a sticking tappet but yer wow what a feeling when she finally makes some noise 😀

Last edited:
Hi camm I’ve 98% finished mine just Wateing on some more as tube for I think I need to make 4 or 5 more intake manifold but I did not let me from a start up and like you I found it started quite easily can I ask what carby you went for ? I tryed a small ? 25 cc chain saw one got it running ok but I still need to do a lot of tuneing and sourt a sticking tappet but yer wow what a feeling when she finally makes some noise 😀
Hi Tim

Hi Tim
I use a carb from an Os 50 Helicopter engine.
Worked fine at once.
Ove

Hi camm I’ve 98% finished mine just Wateing on some more ss tube for I think I need to make 4 or 5 more intake manifold but I did not let that me from a start up and like you I found it started quite easily can I ask what carby you went for ? I tryed a small ? 25 cc chain saw one got it running ok but I still need to do a lot of tuneing and sourt a sticking tappet but yer wow what a feeling when she finally makes some noise 😀
I’m so glad you have had success. I have the drawin package too but I’m too far away from my sons shop and I just can’t get around these vision issues well enough to get started I believe there have been a number of carbs used. At one point I found th original cushman carb had been re manufactured. Other two stroke carbs rely on pulsing vaccine source to operste the fuel pump. Various glow engine carbs have been used0S max has been excellent ofvthe glow engines if you can supply a low but consistent fuel pressure they would work ok I think Perry carbs had a nice pump for a long time one way or another you will need consistent fuel supply. Automotive has many accurate low pressure regulators. Autos use about 4 to 6 psi max for any float carb. A glo engine carb will act like a throttle body injection it’s a matter of adjusting needle valves to give best performance . A air fuel ratio gage would be nice but they still are over $100 at best. Then you would need a tight exhaust system with no leaks. I had planned a tubing system as you are working on but this vision issue has made precision TIG and even brazing out of the question . Another thing that has been noted is an additional blower into the impeller that is designed. I they designed one really mixes the air fuel so what goes down the pipes is fire ready as we say no boost just needed just well mixed air/fuel. I hope you can post video and pictures . I’ve had to change hobby’s so I’m into model steam engines. Currently trying to order 4 cylinder mill or lay down engine I have two steam turbines ordered but I don’t expect them untill end of Jan also working on complicated electric boiler. I have pages of calculations plus have a destructive test designed to demo ultimate pressure. I’ve done these in industry so safety is primary. The boiler is about 3/4 gallon capacity 100 psi max well regulated and double pressure relief valves steam is much more dangerous than spinning props but your engine has serious power so be carefull traile mounted full size have smaller cut down paddle blades but don’t often run very fast I just got a new photo tachometer and infra red gun . These would be vital for your tuning measure exhaust gas temps and rpm instantly . I’ll be using both pluse boiler gages

byron

Tim
I dont know why many people try big carburators like chainsaw. A small nitro carb between 8 to 10 mm inlet has always worked for me.And easy to tune.
Regards
Ove

Hi Peter
looked on Dick in ohios movie and I think it looks better and much easyer to do.
Ove

Back