HLV half-nut

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm working with a bunch of high school students on a robotics project. We had and HLV-H toolrom lathe donated and have it up and running. Great stuff!!
Lately, threading is an issue though. No matter what we try we cant get the half nut to engage. It feels like there's some thing blocking it, but I can't see what. At one point last year it did work, so I know its not totally bolloxed up . We've tried every combination of feed levers and gearbox settings, but it feels like there's something locking it out.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

I would imagine the half nut has a lockout for when the carriage feed is engaged as no good would come from attempting to have both the half nut and the carriage feed engaged at the same time. Sounds like time to pull the apron apart.

I would imagine the half nut has a lockout for when the carriage feed is engaged as no good would come from attempting to have both the half nut and the carriage feed engaged at the same time. Sounds like time to pull the apron apart.

Whilst I would agree ! Simply dis-engaging the cross slide should unlock the half nut.

That's what I thought, but with everything disengaged, the half nut still feels like its locked in place.

Might be something out of kilter in the linkages/adjustment of the lockout mechanism that needs a bit of a looking at.

Latest posts

Back