Hit me - Miss me?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using 620 for cylindrical fits on my loco build (e.g., wheels to axles). The small bottle lasts a long time as you don't need very much.

Morning Bob,
I am only on page 8 of this one at present and I like it a lot, not only the build which is looking ace, but the humorous casual atmosphere generated by yourself and some of your contributor’s. We could all use a bit more of that in our lives these days, so now it’s back to the story and see it develop.

Cheers Les :big: :big:

Hi Bob

I assume the loctite was a 50ml bottle at 50 bucks? It may be possible to get a 10ml bottle for about 15. I was in a Repco shop a while ago and they were happy to order in a small bottle of loctite for me. Not sure if you can get 620 in a 10ml bottle here? If you have a win let us know.

Cheers
Steve

Graham, Herbie, Frazer, Kvom and Steve,

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Yes Steve, it was a 50ml bottle. I asked about a 10ml bottle and all I received was shrugged shoulders and blank looks. I will see what my local Repco have to say.

Best Regards
Bob

Hell...Loctite sent me a 10ml bottle free as a sample!.....I would hunt around if I were you...or call your Loctite rep and tell them about your new tank project that you KNOW you could fix with loctite but need to prove it first..... ;D

Dave

Bob

I have some Loctite 620 if you still need it. I'm at Aberfoyle Park and on 0412 519 776. Yell out if you need to use it.

Rgds - Gavin

Gavin & Dave,

One thing that is Loctite..........my wallet ;D

After a foray to the local Autobarn I found 100 ml of JB Weld for $19.00 and it's rated to 6000F.

Gavin, nice to have a chat and thanks for your kind offer, (I know where to come next time :p).

I know I said it last week but work got in the way so next week should see me attacking the valve cages.

Best Regards
Bob

Well,

I've been slack in posting but I now have something more to add.

The new head with the valve inserts ready for final machining.

DSCF1590.jpg

Machining the inserts in a collet for accuracy

DSCF1591.jpg

DSCF1592.jpg

The head ready for valve lapping.

DSCF1593.jpg

DSCF1594.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Great head job Bob. Holes in correct position and correct depth on this one?
Looking forward to next instalment

Herbie, Dean and Dave,

Thanks for hanging in there guys :bow: :bow: :bow:

I re-assembled and bugger me....still no compression.

Last week I got tangled up in a rush job and it was raining like hell. By the time we finished I was soaked through to the undies. Fortunately I had a spare boiler suit in my shop. With only that between me and the rest of the world, the car with the heater on seemed like a good idea.............so............I went home. :mad:

This week saw me make a tester for the head and cylinder because I thought I may have broken a ring. With 30 psi of air it took some effort to move the piston against the pressure and there was little or no blow by on the cylinder base.

Like Brian Rupnow, it's those pesky valves; again at 30 psi, air flowed quite freely from both the intake and exhaust.

Ah well, not only will I have to suck it up but it looks like I will also be lapping it up. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

We're not going anywhere.... Try the shot of oil in the cylinder trick during the compression test....good for spotting bad rings...that would eliminate one of th two variables...just don't use too much

Dave

Still following along. Been here since the beginning.

You'll get it sorted , I know it. Thm: Thm:

Ron

;D *knuppel2* The suspense is killing me ;) ha ha, yes I know, Grasshopper be patient, and all will be revealed when the mountain has been conquered :bow:.
Cheers
Graham

Dave, Ron and Graham,

Thanks Guys :bow: :bow: :bow:

Well after spending most of yesterday morning lapping it up, we have compression :eek: Not as much as I would like and not as much as George Britnell suggests. Next step is to have a bit of a play with the valve springs especially the exhaust. Then I think back to more lapping.

Guys I'm sorry this is so excruciatingly slow and I must admit that I'm just a tad peeved at 2steps forward 1step back. That said, I refuse to let a couple of bits of steel get the upper hand so I will spend the rest of this week licking my wounds.

As I'm writing this I realise I could have brought the head and valves home with me and fiddled in the comfort of my cabinet...........ah well there's always next week ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Bob, these things take as long as they take. Your regular fan club is still here and waiting for the next good thing!

Back