Hit and Miss Engine Model

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack, Thank you for sharing this build as I was looking at the purchase of this plan, but wasn't sure. Reading your posts and seeing your great strides and accomplishments, I know this little engine will be in my future.
You're doing a great job so please keep up the great work.
Thank's again,
Ren

sorry im wrong , it was 3 for 10.00 --got new specs since post , now i can see --richard

Hey Jack,
Have you looked on Jerry's site lately? He put a nice paint job on his Farm Boy.
Tony

Jack,

Nice job on the crankshaft. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Jack,

Not only the crankshaft, the whole thing looks top drawer. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Jack
Outstanding work and you are making good progress.

I have always made my flywheels (only 4 to date). I found them to be quite easy assuming you have a rotary table. Also, my local metal supplier carries cylindrical remnants that he sells by the pound, so the price is right.

flywheel1.jpg

flywheel2.jpg

One question maybe you will share. Jerry Howell calls for 2 very small holes in his carburetor, one a #65 (.035") and the other a #76 (.020") . How did you acquire these and what chucks and speeds did you use?

Jack said:
As far as making flywheels I have done it and yes it's not that hard, but I want the look of a cast iron flywheel for this project.

Jack,

Do you mean you want them to be Cast Flywheels, look like Cast flywheels or just made from cast iron ???

Just curious. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Jack,

1st up
smiley-signs003.gif

A suggestion, here we have a company who sell the remnants of spun cast iron bars, which is really nice material and very easy to machine. A piece 6" diameter would cost around $AU200/ft. :eek: :eek: BUT you have the rest for cylinders, pistons, piston rings etc. I did this with some 4" dia and I am still chopping lumps off it. I have so far made a full sized, (3 1/2" piston with matching rings), pistons and contra pistons for my 2 diesel models, the cylinder for my hit and miss. I will also be making the piston and rings for the H&M and I still have about 4" left.

Another source is foundry sprues, free but you don't quite know how much is usable. Or for a nominal sum the foundry will sell a lump say 10" x 8" x 4." To get under the skin you need carbide tips and when cutting it up it eats HSS power hacksaw blades at an alarming rate, (I ended up drilling and then belting it apart with a hammer and chisel).

You pays your money and you make your choices. I made a whole mill engine from sprues and said lump including the base 9" x 3 1/2" x 1 1/4".

Hope this helps. ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Does anyone use cast iron freeweights from sporting-goods stores as flywheel raw stock?

Jack,

Glad you sorted your flywheels and very nice they are. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Very nice Jack.
It made be go through the entire thread.
Any chance of some closer-up pics?
I'd like to see more of the governor as well as other details.
Thanks.

Thanks for the pics Jack!

Sorry I hadn't replied earlier. I think I'm doing something wrong in trying to keep up with posts. Don't know why I missed this.

But anyway...found it...and glad I did.

Thanks again. These 'hit and miss' engines are getting more and more interesting.

Have you tackled the Hall sensor bracket yet? I'm looking at the drawings (of the one to be used with the spark saver), and am totally stymied. Leaving out the lack of a dimension on one part, the drawings don't seem to agree.

Latest posts

Back