High Speed Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Windy,
I am going to spend some time gathering my information together this weekend and get some engine details noted and hopefully begin making the crankshaft. I have quite a bit of customer work to do also but will make sure I can have some machining time :)
BW.
Eric..

Thank you Windy,
I am going to spend some time gathering my information together this weekend and get some engine details noted and hopefully begin making the crankshaft. I have quite a bit of customer work to do also but will make sure I can have some machining time :)
BW.
Eric..
Any advice you may require just ask will tell you the materials I used for starters my crankshaft is en24t with big end linear bearing shaft and pinned to stop it maybe coming adrift.

Thank you Windy,
Would you taper pin the big end journal after press fitting?
I think my first engine is going to be smaller than yours, perhaps 7/8 bore. A little like the Spartan and your drawings but scaled down as this is intended for the retro early 20s hydro build. But at the same time, I will make notes and sketches from info such as yours to compile a sketch for a bigger engine for an up to date Hydroplane.
With best wishes.
Eric..

This is a fascinating thread. I find it quite interesting to hear of the details in learning from previous attempts and also the tribulations during the same trials.

BC1
Jim

This is a fascinating thread. I find it quite interesting to hear of the details in learning from previous attempts and also the tribulations during the same trials.

BC1
Jim
Jim,
This is the fascination of experimental engineering especially when an amateur with a passion for all things mechanical.
My full size sports and my branch of model engineering is what would be classed as a minority interest.
A shame if all the trials and tribulations of eventually becoming a record breaker become lost.
Especially when doing my fastest motorcycle UK one way run on my scrapyard special it shows what can be achieved with limited machine tools and not much money.
Suppose if a book was wrote of my misdeeds it should be called How Not to Break Speed Records.
Some years ago Bob Kirtley a past steam hydro model record holder a person who I have a lot of respect for his article in ME was the cause of me having a go mentioned about us doing an updated book on flash steam.
Apart from the serious side of record attempts despite disasters some have been painful to my body I have a smile and joke about it.
Enjoy the speed attempts challenges and never give up.
Couple of shots of some major disasters they have been posted before also had a phone call this morning to arrange getting my lathe and mill knob twiddling hand sorted at the hospital.
A pain in the arse no my hand.
Have been spending too much time on the computer hopefully can get back to knob twiddling when hand sorted.

Attachments

• CRASH bit.jpg
    CRASH bit.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Paul_&_Bits.jpg
    Paul_&_Bits.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 165
Back