High Speed Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a boat in that rooster tail? Remember, the Stanley Steamer held a speed record for quite a while.

OK, I'm late.

But that was an exciting demo of steam at speed.

Well done, Paul.

This high speed hydroplane, hobby is all new to me....is the goal, just to go the fastest? These videos are the only time I ever saw these boats in action.

After the operator releases the boat...I guess the boat keeps going until it runs out of fuel? What happens if there is a failure? Is there any control over these boats once released?

I tune and often repair pianos. The wire used for piano "strings" is high quality, heat treated steel. The best "string material" used by piano builders used to come from Germany. However, this piano wire can rust, and pit, and is heat treated so that the wire stretches. This "stretch' allows the piano tuner to regulate the tension on the 233 strings of a piano, over the life of the piano, usually lasting decades. However strings in a piano are under constant, high tension, and any potential weak point on a string, whether it be a speck of rust, or a nick in the wire, can cause that wire to suddenly snap. When wire is brought up to working tension on a newly strung piano, the technician will place a heavy sheet of cardboard over the strings as protection in case a string pops. You don't want to be anywhere near a piece of wire spring-steel when it snaps, and whips around! Your eyes will not stop music wire.

I hope some kind of plastic covering/tubing is slipped over that tether wire. Just saying.

Frank

On last leg of new cylinder head with valve seat all in one with head its all made out of en 24t.
Should solve valve insert leakage.
June will be the test, hopefully it wont be a flying steam engine with all the bits to repair.
A new hull has been made after 2013 crash.
Trying to keep the weight down but a new modification has added some extra weight.
Hopefully 135mph might be achieved but nothing can be taken for granted.
Competition could be interesting?
Development keeps the few brain cells working.

Paul

Update on new 2014 steam hydro hull and engine modifications after a bad day in June at Kingsbury Water Park this Sunday July 13th after a bit of tweaking to the launch system on my second attempt managed 102 mph.
A problem I had a few years ago i.e. the prop jumping reappeared with some helpful advice angles on the prop skeg and front canards was changed.
The third attempt was very promising with an average speed of 122.5 mph but still prop jumping.
A test run was allowed at the end of competition but the launch was a disaster.
A problem appeared the water pump requires investigation as at times it stopped pumping on trying to fire up amazing what an engineers favourite tool can do i.e. a small hammer.
A friend took a video of the disasters and good runs so will try to supply a link when available.

Paul

Last edited:
Here is the video Bobs and my flash steam hydroplanes at work the first meeting in June was not very good for both of us but things are getting better at this regatta.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-7yZXIZfqU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-7yZXIZfqU[/ame]

I have to trim the hull and that is very critical to keep on the water or become an aircraft or submarine at the speeds now being achieved.

The new cylinder head is good and cam follower OK trim is the key to going faster now

Paul

Hi Paul,
Many thanks for the Vid of you and Bob's running attempts, it has given me some encouragement to have another go at my Flashsteamer OOYAH although I will not run it on a club day but on one of our working nights.

Last year I had an incident when something hit the rudder and knocked it off 30 deg unknown to me so it was a struggle to get it back under radio control.
Hopefully I will get it to run and somebody can get a Video of it to post, it's so encouraging to see that even you guys have off days.

George.

Are you still running cast iron pistons with Dykes rings?

Lohring Miller

Last year I had an incident when something hit the rudder and knocked it off 30 deg unknown to me so it was a struggle to get it back under radio control.
Hopefully I will get it to run and somebody can get a Video of it to post, it's so encouraging to see that even you guys have off days.

George.

We both have had plenty of off days it's now into the experimental for both of us.
My prop-shaft steady bearing has been running very hot probably needs more clearance?
A bit of woodwork the rear wing half of it broke off when launched on the 122.5 run.

Paul

After July runs now getting ready for Sundays blast have made some new rear wings of a better aerodynamic profile to keep the stern down at speed?
Might do some more alterations to prop angle but after 122.5 mph with half a wing off will see after first attempt.
Found a bit of minute black metal debris on the water pump bottom feed it looks as if it came from the steam generator possibly when releasing pressure as I am very strict about pump and tank cleanliness.
That was the problem with the pump at times when starting.
The 2014 EN24T cylinder head (one piece apart from cast iron valve guide) has proved itself after last years leaking head.

Very nice looking head. I'm getting ready to machine a cylinder and head and was wondering what hardness it could be tempered to. From the colors on your head it looks like the maximum temperature might be below 800 degrees F which would allow a 45 Rockwell C hardness. My stock is already heat treated to 35 Rockwell C. What hardness are you running on your head and cylinders? Are you still using a cut down automotive exhaust valve for your valve?

Good luck on your run.

Lohring Miller

Very nice looking head. I'm getting ready to machine a cylinder and head and was wondering what hardness it could be tempered to. From the colors on your head it looks like the maximum temperature might be below 800 degrees F which would allow a 45 Rockwell C hardness. My stock is already heat treated to 35 Rockwell C. What hardness are you running on your head and cylinders? Are you still using a cut down automotive exhaust valve for your valve?

Good luck on your run.

Lohring Miller

Material is en24t no other heat treatment
In the past it has gone over the colour temperature range depending on pump settings etc. this head has hardly been run yet expect it all to change colour soon.
Valve has to be one piece (no welded head) and at least 21/4n material or better.

Paul

Very interested in the propellers could you tell about them, are they hand made or readily available to buy, where from etc , I know about the web site on the wire but no real info on technical side.

http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/index.php?id=40&section=store&sub_section=products
Click on more info to find what the numbers mean. For a general understanding of propeller operation you can read my articles on propellers in the NAMBA Propwash; propeller theory in part 1 and propeller geometry, measurement, and manufacturing in part 2. Part 3 will cover what is done to convert a casting into a high performance racing propeller.

Lohring Miller

PS Paul, thanks for the material information.

Very interested in the propellers could you tell about them, are they hand made or readily available to buy, where from etc , I know about the web site on the wire but no real info on technical side.

Some tethered hydroplane competitors buy the cast props and tweak them but have seen them bend.
Many of the high performance competitors make their own out of steels like EN24T.
Mine is 4 inches in diameter out of HT steel I start by milling the root angle then twist the blade with something on the lines of a large tap wrench to the angle I require.
A template of the blade shape is then scribed on the rough blade.
With a series of angle gauges I proceed to hand finish with power and hand tools the required angles at various diameters on a jig I made.
Cupping etc. is then done, rear angle is critical to how it runs in the water the rooster tail give various clues when flat out.
My props are highly polished and razor sharp so extreme care is required to avoid injury.
Have been told that some of the fastest full size racing props are hand finished for that extra speed.
Roughed out prop on jig

Thanks gents, lohring these props have similar lines to the jg Jim gale props in some ways? Yes have read most of your articles . Tether boats seems like most components are hand made to the greater percentage.

Sunday was very good with Bob Kirtley doing his personal best at 123.33 mph.
On my first run 128.29 mph with laps at 130mph.
Second attempt I fitted an air scoop for the burners it accelerated very fast but a fire ball melted water, fuel pipes and annealed a valve spring plus heat reflector melted it still did 117 mph.
With Bobs help he had some bacofoil and replacing damaged parts with just minutes before the last run it ran round at 128.87 mph with very little speed difference on the 5 timed laps.
Now I have got the engine on form the cylinder head must have been just below red heat near the inlet and the valve guide has a grey scale on it now.
There is a month before my next trial so back to the workshop to repair the fire damaged hull and try to find that extra mph.

Paul

Sunday was very good with Bob Kirtley doing his personal best at 123.33 mph.
On my first run 128.29 mph with laps at 130mph.
Second attempt I fitted an air scoop for the burners it accelerated very fast but a fire ball melted water, fuel pipes and annealed a valve spring plus heat reflector melted it still did 117 mph.
With Bobs help he had some bacofoil and replacing damaged parts with just minutes before the last run it ran round at 128.87 mph with very little speed difference on the 5 timed laps.
Now I have got the engine on form the cylinder head must have been just below red heat near the inlet and the valve guide has a grey scale on it now.
There is a month before my next trial so back to the workshop to repair the fire damaged hull and try to find that extra mph.

Paul

Here are the days runs.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABS5gDOBkYA[/ame]

Back