Hi there from South Africa 2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbodirect

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im also from S.A -- love the web page too, started my own project which is the Jerry howel V-twin - its my first project, but im not scared, i own CNC equipment and know my basic way around these machines.

I got the materials for the engine last week, and started and almost completed the Cylinders already - just need to bore and hone to size for the piston and these will be done.

here's a pic so long.

Next i will be machining up the block -- in fact the CNC mill is being cleaned and prepped for this now.:cool:

20131112_144739_resized.jpg

20131112_144811_resized.jpg

20131112_144816_resized.jpg

Hi Turbodirect,

Welcome from faraway Singapore.
Did my time studying CNC machining in 1984 but went on no further. Way back in 1984, just five fingers count count all the CNC Lathes and CNC MachineCentres. Today all machineshops must have at least ten CNCs to cope with machining parts to stay in biz. There are now thousands of CNCs operating in tiny Singapore.Even tiny one man Plastic Mould Machine shops must have one CNC MachineCentre.
CNCs still fascinate me.

Retired since 2001 and making do with a small machineshop in the balcony.And it can only be just a mini lathe,mill,drill press and a Makita Bandsaw.

Would love to see your engine running.Please post video.

hey Gus --

thanks for the post - i only began today witht the engine, and so far you have seen the pics of the clinders, and i have just completed the sizing of the block, and chamfers on the edges on all eight corners on both blocks -- im making two of everything.... dont know why yet... hehe

I LOVE engineering-- i mke lots of mistakes, but i learn evey time, and get better and better at it as i go along.

Ill keep you all posted with progress -- im hating the converting Inches to frikkin millimeters on all these drawings though - such a waste of time!!:eek::eek::eek:

Anyone else on the forum build a Jerry Howell V-twin engine?

hey Gus --

thanks for the post - i only began today witht the engine, and so far you have seen the pics of the clinders, and i have just completed the sizing of the block, and chamfers on the edges on all eight corners on both blocks -- im making two of everything.... dont know why yet... hehe

I LOVE engineering-- i mke lots of mistakes, but i learn evey time, and get better and better at it as i go along.

Ill keep you all posted with progress -- im hating the converting Inches to frikkin millimeters on all these drawings though - such a waste of time!!:eek::eek::eek:

Anyone else on the forum build a Jerry Howell V-twin engine?

Hi Turbodirect,

I share the same pains.Took me a long time to go metric after the entire Singapore went metric. Buying non-metric fasteners here in Singapore is nearly impossible. Standardised on metric fasteners. No more BSF BSW BA
NC NS UNC UNF etc.
Vee Engine.Plan to build one next year after the Nemett-Lynx IC Engine.
Currently WIP finishing up a Hit & Miss Engine which is in Imperial Units.
Gave up converting to metric . Digital Vernier Calipers and Mikes are dual
system so OD checks no problem.

Was in Jo-burg quite a few times on biz.Went to see wild life. S.A. steaks and wine very good.:cool:
Bought a Zulu spear head but was confiscated at Singapore Airport.:wall::wall:

Hey Gus,

Johannesburg is nice -- contrary to popular belief, we are a 1st world country, with some amenities better than US and EU countries -- and no there arent elephants and lions in the streets.:eek:

The imperial is difficult when you are used to the Metric - i wish the world had a universal measuring system! here are some more pics of the engine block - rough machining, still to be cleaned up and completed, but basic outline and PCD pilot holes drilled. This was done on my CNC - made a quick drawing in Solid Works and wrote X and Y co-ordinates in Edgecam, and off to the machine.

20131115_110919_resized.jpg

20131115_110933_resized.jpg

20131115_095643_resized.jpg

20131115_100547_resized.jpg

True. I found the Jo-burg Supermarkets very well stock and very wide variety.
Bought some very good cuts of beef. The engineering tool shops are very well stocked too. Far better than those in Singapore and China. Bought some UK tools too.

Will be following thru your postings.

Yeah Gus -- one thing i can say is that i have been to many countries around the world and NONE compare to our meat. That it s given! Shops here are VERY WELL stocked! Food is cheap, clothes are too and property for what you get cannot be matched anywhere on the planet!!

But hey -- the engine block is roughed up and almost completely hollowed out - needs a small 0.15mm cut to neaten up and then we start with the crank and some of the internals, then the cylinder heads....

keep posted for some pics coming soon.

You are going great Turbodirect, I did a CNC course and fell in love with the HAAS lathe and mill but of course I can't afford them. I am on the lookout for a small setup like the Sherline.

I am disappointed that you don't have elephants and lions in the streets. We have kangaroos in the streets and I have a mob keeping my lawn short.

Jim

Last edited:
The imperial is difficult when you are used to the Metric

Hi Turbodirect,
I'm going the other way, metric to imperial. At first, it was annoying, but then I came to realize that the time it takes to convert from one system to another gives you some time to figure out your next move. It slows you down a bit...not so good for a production environment but just great for hobby work.

Good luck with your project

Cheers,
Phil

Hahaha the kangaroos must be having a ball in your back yard!! The haas is a fantastic machine but I use Victor machines for Mill work and I have an okuma cnc lathe on route to me with chip extractor etc - tooling is going to cost a small fortune again!!

Regards the metric to imperial issue it is Definately a good thing due to the slowing down it causes - less mistakes that's for sure.

You are going great Turbodirect, I did a CNC course and fell in love with the HAAS lathe and mill but of course I can't afford them. I am on the lookout for a small setup like the Sherline.

I am disappointed that you don't have elephants and lions in the streets. We have kangaroos in the streets and I have a mob keeping my lawn short.

Jim

Hi Jim,
In Singapore ,we have wild boars running all over the water catchment areas
and inevitably we did have few of this on the streets in the remote suburbs.
We have a few crocs in the reservoirs too. Both creatures are not very friendly.
Friend of mine gave me delicious Curry Wild Boar.

Aloha Turbo

-- and welcome to the congregation. It's an affable and extremely helpful group, and many of them are embarrassingly talented and accomplished.

I don't have any CNC gear yet (out here in the islands we're still coming to grips with the Wheel) but I really look forward to learning from your adventures. I'm working on a 5-cylinder radial as my first IC project, and wish daily that I'd started with something a bit more realistic, like the Howell v-tin, which looks like a darling little motor, though certainly challenging enough.

Good luck, and I hoe we all stay in touch.

m

XKS hahahahaha im sure you guys have the perfect wheel by now ;D;D

im happy to help/share anythng that people want, just shout. no further progress on the engine, thinking of finishing off more on the block tomorrow, then clean up all the roughing afterwards.

You have the makings of a monster there, sir. Is the crankshaft the next objective, along with its bearings and such?

m

Thank you sir -- no i want to complete the finisging cuts on the crankcase and then bore the cylinders -- im thinking of going oversizes -- the stock bore is 1 inch -- i want to go 28mm ...

next will be crank indeed -- and then conrods.

I am dreading the gears ... will probablycall in a favour from a freind there...:D

Thank you sir -- no i want to complete the finisging cuts on the crankcase and then bore the cylinders -- im thinking of going oversizes -- the stock bore is 1 inch -- i want to go 28mm ...

next will be crank indeed -- and then conrods.

I am dreading the gears ... will probablycall in a favour from a freind there...:D

No worry about cutting spur gears. Gus cut his own on a mini mill with China Gear Cutters and DIY Dividing Head. Some members also successfully cut
mitre gears.
Metric Involute Gear Cutters are available from CTCTools.

IMG_1983.jpg

Thanks Gus -- guess what im buying on Monday!! Ill have to get additional material, practise some first ....

anyway, getting new tools, is like jewelery for men .... :)

Back