Hi from Western Australia!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 50511

Reaction score
Just joined this group, and a newbie to machining. I pick up my Hare and Forbes AL-336D centre lathe next week and looking forward to developing new skills. No doubt I'll be asking questions from time to time!! Cheers all!

Thank you all! I have a couple of small simple turning and facing jobs to do first up just to get used to the machine, then I'll have a look through this site to get an idea on what I can be challenged with! I'm in awe of some of the projects I have seen so far!

G'day Buffalo Lou,
Do you belong to a model engineering club as you will get much advice if needed. I belong to NDMES in Stirling (Balcatta), if that is near to you

Just joined this group, and a newbie to machining. I pick up my Hare and Forbes AL-336D centre lathe next week and looking forward to developing new skills. No doubt I'll be asking questions from time to time!! Cheers all!
Good Morning Buffalo Lou,
Welcome to the group,
I live in Scarborough so in the event you want one on one time please do not hesitate to call upon me for that help.

Best regards,

Doug B

First thing to do is take the cover off the gear box and flush it out this will save you a small fortune in replacing all the bearings in your headstock or better still get hare and frobes to do it for you before delivery.

Welcome to the forum, I see your a ways in from Mandurah. "slightly of the beaten track" but not too far.
I did a five year stint in WA living in Baldivis. You've some great country around you.

WELCOME! While the lathe is box new, if you do the initial oil change for "proper stuff" , you'L find out the fiddles of emptying and re-filling the gear box. Do any necessary mods like adding a drain tap and pipe so the oil does not just spill everywhere, maybe an oil level sight glass, or dipstick, magnetic particle filter plug, & make a proper filler funnel so you can refill the box - again without pouring oil where you don't want it. A friend did all that after the 3rd frustrating oil change and reckoned he was stupid not to do it the first time.
Lots more useless information from me later..
K2

Thanks all for the kind words of welcome! thanks too Geo and Steamchick for the advice on the new lathe. I had heard that the Chinese manufacture left some debris behind in the headstock and gearbox and will certainly clean it out before use as required. I'll wait for any modifications to the lathe until after the warranty period. Cheers again!

Latest posts

Back