Hi from the U.K.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d.bick

Reaction score
Hi,
what a great site this is, it looks really well laid out and I have had a few hours enjoying the many topics.
Well done to the admin team and the project contributes. Hopefully I will be able to offer some of my input in the future.
Now for a little about me. I live in middle of England (U.K.)
I’am in full time employment as a welder/fabricator.
I’am very open mined to other peoples views, and enjoy all aspects of engineering from models to full size.
I have been model engineering for just over 30 years.
Models so far are a freelance 5” gauge 0-6-0 tank engine locomotive, a 2” scale “Minnie” freelance traction engine, and a Stewart no 4 vertical stationary steam engine.
I have a 6” scale Tasker traction engine in progress plus a few other projects like the Clarkson 2x2” vertical and the Clarkson two cylinder compound which one day will hopefully receive my attention.
I started model making in a small shed 12’ x 5’ and the only machine tools used for the making of the loco was a South bend 9” lathe and a hand electric drill in a own made drill stand, plus a few hand tools. This shed was my workshop for many years.
In the last 10 years when my pocket money has gone up. I have built a bigger shed 18 x 10 feet (a much larger space.) With a 10’ x 10’ tin shed annex where the casting, forging and brazing are done. But over the years many more machines have been acquired and I find myself with no room to move again. Problem now is I cannot expand the workshop any more.
I look forward contributing some of my trials and tribulations. The latest being the Bridgeport mill, which I have been rebuilding over the last year.
Hopefully I can post some photos.
Thanks again Dave Bick

DSC09593.JPG

Hi Dave
wEc1 on this forum
Best regards
Paolo

Hi Dave, Welcome to HMEM.

Chuck

Hi Dave,
I see you been a guest for a while and started right off with the pics. That's some shop you have there :bow: Any place to walk......just kidding. Welcome

Tony

Hi from Don,that's some workshop,reminds me of work.
WELCOME

Alright now, what is a Tasker? There is that english to english thing happening I think

Tony

Tony
Like Case made engines in the U.S. Tasker is the name of the company in the U.K. that made the original steam powered traction engine on which I‘am basing my 6” to the foot model, (6” scale) sometimes referred to a half size model. But this is not really true; it may be half as long in the length and width but not the volume. It will be approximately 76” long x 32” wide X 60” high and weigh just under a ton. The Tasker Company around the early 1900’s made a range of steam engines from road rollers to haulage engines and their trailers.
I started this engine about seven years ago and so far have the boiler made (by myself) and the front end, smoke box chimney etc. mostly done. Wheel rims made hubs part machined. I needed a bigger mill for this project so a Bridge port was acquired from ebay unseen I might add. This is a story I will tell later on.
The English I speak has a Black Country accent so even others In the U.K. don’t understand me. (The Black country arrived at its name from the thick coal seam that was very near the surface consequently many mines and iron/steel works were in this area, sadly nearly all gone).
All the best Dave Bick

Thanks D.B.
I owned a MGB for 20 years (10 years ago) and the shop manual had the English to English translator in the back. Gundoen pin (wrist pin) kind of stuff. So I never know. My last company I worked for we did a lot of biz with BT. The phone calls where..... what did you say.... what??? Fixings (hardware) lowery (truck)

It's amazing we can communicate :big:

Tony

PS I'm building the Whittle V8 and the prints have all of the English terms on it. I wish I still had the manual to translate.

Tony, That’s some engine a V8.
I’am sure I will get on with you and the rest of the guys.
I was once lucky enough to go to a talk by Barry Hares. Who demonstrated his working Rolls Royce Merlin engine he went on to make the Rolls Royce Eagle engine a 24 cylinder H configuration engine There are some nice photos of both his engines and a good descriptions if you Google Barry Hares.
Dave

Hi Dave, welcome aboard, it's pretty friendly around here, (providing you keep posting pictures), but you seem to have that well in hand. Nice workshop, I'm already developing "space envy" :D ............ I'm probably about a 100 miles or so North of you so perhaps we might meet up at Harrogate or the Midlands show sometime ........ take care, look forward to hearing more ;)

CC

Dave,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum....

Paul, in Staffordshire, probably not a million miles from you ;D

Nice work there.... :)

Not far from you, but nearer to Crewcab... ;)

Thanks for all the welcomes.
I have been catching up with the threads on this forum, and then someone posts another interesting project so more reading. Great site this I really like the layout.
I have been taking a few photos ready for some of my input.
So hopefully I can give back some of the knowledge so freely shared by others.
Regards Dave
Photo of the home foundry with redudant gas bottle furnace which is ganister lined blown air and propane fule note the 7 1/4" gauge track that leads to the moulding shop.

DSC08736.jpg

Good to have another Traction Engine builder and TT member on board

Jason

Latest posts

Back