Hi from the Grand Union Canal Leicestershire

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paultheboat

Reaction score
Just joined so thought I would say hi to all the members.
Only just getting started on model engineering,been playing with radio controlled stuff for 35years,its now time to scratch build some mechanical stuff like steam engines.
Got my shed being delivered this week so I’m very excited to get started and will soon start small lathe shopping
As we live on a boat,a workshop by the canal is a fantastic result.
Low cost hobby Lathe questions to follow soon I expect
Thanks everybody
Have a great evening
Paultheboat

Hello Paul & welcome. My wife and me wanted to live on a boat when we got married some 40 odd years ago but getting a mooring was impossible. My wife was the daughter of a boat builder and lived on a boat for a few years after she was born. Ah well..... we now have a bungalow with what looks like a garage but is in fact my workshop.
Happy boating, Brian

Hi Paul. I am an RC fan as well. Just tried printing my first model on my new 3D printer. Really want to build my own engines. I bought a lathe some years ago and now that I am retired and active in the shop I regret what I bought. Of all things make sure the lathe you buy has variable speeds, either electronic or with a gear head. Changing belts on pulleys will reduce you to tears, especially with the type of lathe I bought. The belts are all tucked inside the housing and changing spindle speed requires a bunch of wrenches and half an hour of frustration. I’m hoping to change to a 3 phase motor and a VFD but that is expensive and complicated. Better to buy the right lathe in the first place.

Hi Paul and another welcome to the forum.
I think many of us on here have some current or past experience with R/C models. My interest is the field is with small models, converting vintage balsa and tissue rubber powered types to R/C with electric power.
My lathe is a 1926 Drummond round bed, inherited from my grandfather. It is, by a long way, not the most rigid machine, but that has taught me to be inventive with setups and fixtures. Between that lathe and a Sieg X3 mill, I can do anything I need to - eventually!

Latest posts

Back