Hi from South Africa

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HennieL

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just discovered this forum, and decided to join - I'm a "nearly retired" person who would love to learn more about building model engines. I have a fair knowledge of mechanics and machining "full size", but have been thinking for some years now of trying my hand at building a model engine or two... Guess it's now THAT time ;)

Anyway, I have a lathe and mill/drill, and enough other tools to be able to enter into the "He-who-dies-with-the-most-tools, wins" competition... Now, I suppose, I will have to start all over again with SMALL tools :cool:

So, see you all on the forums - (although I will probably only be lurking for some time...)

Regards
HennieL

HennieL, welcome to the forum! As far as small tools go, I have to say that I have been pleased with how much I have been able to do with my full-sized (or at least medium-sized) tools - a Cincinnati TrayTop 12-1/2 x 30 lathe and a 2J Bridgeport. That said, there are times when it is really, really helpful to have my little 7x14 lathe for certain operations.

Andy,

Thanks for the welcome. I agree, I should be able to do most work using my "full size" tools... the "small tools" is just an excuse to buy more tools ;)
I am fortunate to also have a small Emco Compact 5 lathe as well, but it's more than 30 years old, and will probably need new bearings in the near future... still works quite nicely if I take it slow...

Yes. My biggest concern is that after I've died, my wife will sell my tools for the bargain prices I told her that I paid for them ;):)

Hi Hennie,
I've been lurking on this site for more than 10 years - you won't find a more useful bunch of helpful friendly folks.

You've come to the right place - welcome.

Regards - Ken in Cape Town

Ken,

Baie Dankie... A belated thanks for the welcome. I'm in Bloemfontein, but with this corona lockdown I suppose it does not matter where one's from - you can't get to anywhere else in any case ;):D

I'm still lurking, but hope to post something constructive in the near future.

Regards
Hennie

Latest posts

Back