Hi from South Africa

Help Support HMEM:

HennieL

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just discovered this forum, and decided to join - I'm a "nearly retired" person who would love to learn more about building model engines. I have a fair knowledge of mechanics and machining "full size", but have been thinking for some years now of trying my hand at building a model engine or two... Guess it's now THAT time ;)

Anyway, I have a lathe and mill/drill, and enough other tools to be able to enter into the "He-who-dies-with-the-most-tools, wins" competition... Now, I suppose, I will have to start all over again with SMALL tools :cool:

So, see you all on the forums - (although I will probably only be lurking for some time...)

Regards
HennieL

awake

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
HennieL, welcome to the forum! As far as small tools go, I have to say that I have been pleased with how much I have been able to do with my full-sized (or at least medium-sized) tools - a Cincinnati TrayTop 12-1/2 x 30 lathe and a 2J Bridgeport. That said, there are times when it is really, really helpful to have my little 7x14 lathe for certain operations.

HennieL

Reaction score
Andy,

Thanks for the welcome. I agree, I should be able to do most work using my "full size" tools... the "small tools" is just an excuse to buy more tools ;)
I am fortunate to also have a small Emco Compact 5 lathe as well, but it's more than 30 years old, and will probably need new bearings in the near future... still works quite nicely if I take it slow...

awake

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, new tools are absolutely necessary. At least, that's what I tell my wife. For some reason, she finds this hard to believe ...

HennieL

Reaction score
Yes. My biggest concern is that after I've died, my wife will sell my tools for the bargain prices I told her that I paid for them ;):)

Ken I

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi Hennie,
I've been lurking on this site for more than 10 years - you won't find a more useful bunch of helpful friendly folks.

You've come to the right place - welcome.

Regards - Ken in Cape Town

HennieL

Reaction score
Ken,

Baie Dankie... A belated thanks for the welcome. I'm in Bloemfontein, but with this corona lockdown I suppose it does not matter where one's from - you can't get to anywhere else in any case ;):D

I'm still lurking, but hope to post something constructive in the near future.

Regards
Hennie

Latest posts