Hi from Pembrokeshire in Wales

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just taken over my late father's workshop that hasn't been used for fifteen years. In the process of removing a worn out lathe that is well over a ton in weight and removing a load of accumulated junk. Plan to have a new lathe and miller installed and ready to go by Christmas. My background is as an electronics engineer so this should be a good change of direction for my retirement.

Welcome Chris.

I went through that same exercise in 2006.
Quite a chore to say the least, but it got me started doing my own machining and engine building hobby work.

My background is a power engineer, but many technical backgrounds are helpful in this hobby basically because they gives a solid foundation in things like physics, math, and other useful subjects.

Good luck.
Post some of your project photos when you get up and running.

Pat J

Just taken over my late father's workshop that hasn't been used for fifteen years. In the process of removing a worn out lathe that is well over a ton in weight and removing a load of accumulated junk. Plan to have a new lathe and miller installed and ready to go by Christmas. My background is as an electronics engineer so this should be a good change of direction for my retirement.
Welcome to the group

Dave

Welcome, Whats your plans for builds? Have any projects in mind? Loads of skills and help available here.
Hi Delalio
Haven't used a lathe since school days and never used a miller so plan to make the usual add ons, tap guide, dia holder, clamps and fixtures before progressing to bar stock steam engine's then simple steam engine from castings. Then in a year or two the Quorn tool sharpener.
It will be some years before I'd be able to offer advice to other members in the meantime I'll be the one doing a lot of asking for the things I can't figure out and have wasted stock on.
My initial end goal is a scale hit and miss engine but that is many hours of self indulgent tinkering away.

Latest posts

Back